twenty-one

Artist Sincere DuBois

January 1st, 2020

She looked up at me with a small smile and flashed her nails in my face. "You like?"

I nodded, taking a picture of her, holding them up while she looked off to the side

I nodded, taking a picture of her, holding them up while she looked off to the side. The techs in the salon looked at us, before laughing.

"Cute couple, yeah?" One of them asked as she walked past.

"You guys get married soon." Another one—the one that had just finished up her nails—joked.

Me and Evre both laughed them off, and I helped her up from her seat. "Wash hands." The lady said, pointing at Evre, and then pointing at the sink that was on the other side of the shop.

She walked across the shop to the sink, while I stood and waited for her by the podium. "How much?" I asked the lady.

"For you guys..." she paused.

Here she go with the bullshit.

"$35."

"How much?" Evre asked, walking back over and digging into her clutch. She stepped up closer to the podium and I mushed her head backwards. "Aye!"

"Watch out."

"Boy move!" She fumed, standing in front of me, and I wrapped my arms around her.

"Imma fuck you up if you pull out cho wallet, bruh. Come on, and let me pay." This was my last fucking time asking her to let me pay for shit. After this, she could be on her "I'on need a nigga money for shit" tip all she fuckin' wanted to.

She shrugged. "Ight, it's $35."

"I heard her." I made a face, handing the lady the exact change.

The lady laughed, pointing between the two of us. "You together... so cute." She complimented.

Evre smiled, and I did as well. "Thank you." I nodded, then pushed Evre by the small of her back out of the shop. 

"Why you got a attitude?" I asked, kissing her temple as we walked over to my car. She didn't answer at first, seeming like she was in deep thought. "You good?" I asked her.

"Yeah," her head nodded and her eyebrows furrowed. "I'm good."

"Ight."

"Can I drive?" She asked with a smile when we got to the car.

"You know how?" She nodded. "Ight." I tossed the keys to her and we switched sides, and climbed in.

She can't fuckin drive. I thought when I watched her pull the seat all the way up to see over the dashboard. Yeah, she was short as hell, but she ain't need to be that close to the window.