twenty-four

(I start school next week y'all😹🙄💕.)

Artist Sincere DuBois

January 3rd, 2020

It was 11:00 at night, and Evre had me outside at a fuckin cemetery.

Like fuckin white people searching for clues for a 1879 murder.

"Shit," I crossed my arms as I followed her through the field. "Evre, it's cold as fuck. Can we go sit in the car?"

She stopped by one of the headstones and shook her head, taking a seat. "If I come to Oakland, I gotta make sure to visit my brother—in person. Talkin to him all the way from LA not enough for me. You could go sit in the car." She offered.

"Nah," I shook my head, taking a seat next to her. "Fuck around and have a goblin come out the ground and eat cho face off and then what?" I muttered.

"Boy, shut up." She tittered, playfully slapping my chest, and I put my face into my hoodie, tightening the strings. Oakland cold was a different type of cold.

Evre sighed, turning to the tombstone as I took the time out to look at the markings.

"Hey, bro," she smiled. "I uh, ain't none' really been goin on in my life. I'm real borin." She smiled. "I moved in wit my daddy permanently, and now I'm goin out to a school in Palisades. But it's all good tho, my grades still good, and I got a couple scholarships waitin for me." She started.

"Me and all my siblings real close, that's how it's always been tho'. But can't nobody replace you," she assured. "Won't nobody ever replace you, you the only one a my siblings I got tatted on me, and that's fa' life."

I sat next to her and watched as she had a whole conversation with her big brother, telling him how he impacted her life on a daily and how she always thought about him. Giving him updates on her life and shit, and how she continued to work toward making him proud everyday.

She looked over at me. "You wanna say somethin?"

I scrunched my eyebrows and paused. The fuck was I supposed to say to that?

If I said no I look like a asshole.

But a nigga ain't really wanna say yes either.

"What I'm posed to say?"

She shrugged. "Anything you wanna say."

"Um," i breathed out. She lucky I fuckin like her. "Aye... bro."

"Never mind." She shook her head with a laugh. "We'll try next time." She turned back to the tombstone and laid her head against it. "You got my boyfriend all nervous." She said with a smile.

Fuck.

I'm boyfriend now?

Shiiit, I gotta stop my game up. Maybe I should talk to her dead ass brother.

It got quiet between the two of us, before she spoke up. "I remember this one time," she started off with a smile. "I had got into it wit some girls from my middle school, I think he was in like tenth grade at the time, and he came through and started knockin' bitches out wit me." She said with a laugh.