Chapter Eleven

"Every solution to every problem is simple

"Every solution to every problem is simple. It's the distance between the two where the mystery lies." - Derek Landy

You know what they say, time flies when you're having fun. And Alia, for the first time in a while, is experiencing just that.

Throwing her head back and laughing at a story Liam tells her, Alia feels completely weightless and carefree, her mind clear from any possible responsibilities. Having only just gone through many glasses of water, she continues to be in control of her thoughts and actions, but she cannot say the same for the man beside her.

Liam, who is on his fourth beer, has become quite tipsy and Alia has come to find that she loves every second of it. The ramblings and retellings of adventurous and even embarrassing moments in his life amuses her greatly. Of course, she felt the need to input some of her own, but Liam was too submerged in his own mind to let her interrupt him.

With a large grin on her face, she listens as Liam starts to dive into another story, face light with mirth. The sounds of the tavern is a blur for only excited chatter surrounds them.

Reaching for her half-full glass of water, she holds it in her right hand just as she notices Liam's face drop into that of extreme discomfort. Instantly becoming worried, Alia tries to question the man, but finds that a sharp, tense sensation invades her neck. She tries to resist the forceful movement, but the feeling quickly becomes that of pain, so she immediately submits.

Face tight, eyes shut and matching a similar expression to the male next to her, the glass in Alia's hand shatters underneath her tight grip and she grinds her teeth at the pain. The sound of a bell fills her ears, indicating the entrance or exit of a patron and after a few moments, her stiffly bared neck eventually relaxes. Bringing her left hand up to the flesh, she begins to massage it gently as she looks back at Liam with confusion and even a little bit of fear.

Eyes wide and body still, he continues to stare at something over her shoulder whilst Alia pulls pieces of glass from her right palm, her body quickly healing. The next words out of Liam's mouth make her freeze.

"He's here."

Pulling out the last shard of glass, Alia slowly turns her upper body to search for the man in question. She feels like she's going to be sick.

At the bar, an extremely large specimen of a man stands with his back facing the other wolves in the tavern. A small gasp escapes her lips as she begins to feel his presence and it all too soon becomes all encompassing. She thought the Gamma exuded dominance, but this man... this man embodies the word itself.

Taller than anyone she has ever seen, his frame is a sight for the ages. Powerful muscles cover his back, creating rough ridges and crevices along his threatening body. A white, fitted athletic top covers his torso and black combat trousers cover his thick legs, creating a fierce image of a man ready for anything and everything. Never before has Alia felt such an aura radiate from an individual and she used to reside in the Pack of Vasileís with Bertraim and the, now deceased, Beta.