2 - ACCIDENTS HAPPEN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

ALISSA WAS STARING AT PETER WHEN HER NAME WAS SAID. Her head jerked towards the front of the classroom, eyes wide and lips parted in surprise. There hadn't been any doubt in her mind that she wasn't paying any attention to the Physics lesson that Ms. Warren was trying to teach the class. She knew she what she was doing by dozing off and allowing her mind to wonder, but Alissa didn't care. She didn't think it would really matter all that much as they were mostly just reviewing the lesson from the week before. What she didn't think was that Ms. Warren would call her out her lack of paying attention.

Alissa hardly ever did it in any of her classes, only doing it every so often when she was just readjusting to the school hours after a break, or if she was too tired to properly function. Alissa was someone that was hardly ever called upon, but there she was, and it wasn't looking good for her at all as she fumbled with words, trying to read the problem on the board and figure it out without turning towards anyone for help, or admitting that she hadn't been paying the slightest bit of attention.

"I-It's a linear equation, Ms. Warren," Peter Parker's voice broke through the tense air that had filled the room, a smile already appearing on Alissa's lips at the sound of his voice. However, a frown had formed on Ms. Warrens' face and her brows knitted together. "You can tell by the first—"

"I'm sorry, but is your name Alissa, Peter?"

Alissa timidly bit her lip, sinking down in her seat nervously and fiddling with her fingernails. She glanced to the side at the lab table just across the aisles from hers, noticing how the boy seemed to be at a loss for words just as she had been before he saved her from the embarrassment of not knowing the answer.

Ms. Warren nodded firmly when Peter didn't respond. "Thank you, Peter, you are correct. But next time, I'd like the person I call on to be the one to answer my question."

"Yes, o-of course," Peter nodded firmly, his head dipping down to lay on his arm that rested onto of the desk. Then Ms. Warren turned to face the white board, writing another linear equation for the class to solve along with her.

With the teacher not paying attention to them, Alissa quickly took a piece of paper from her notebook and crinkled it into a ball, slyly tossing it at Peter to capture his attention. He jumped as it hit him, his eyes flickering down to the balled up paper. His brows furrowed, peering around to see who had thrown it. His lips were curled down in a frown until his eyes fell on Alissa as her eyes were already on him. Relief clearly washing over his features when he realized it was her.

Alissa felt a pang in her heart, knowing he was expecting it to be Flash to have thrown it with an insult or a snide slur scribbled on the insides of it. Alissa thankfully smiled, mouthing a grateful thank you to him. He returned the gesture and mouthed you're welcome, his face looking absolutely adorable as he did so. Alissa's cheeks reddened slightly, and she turned her face to the front of the class again, brushing her hair behind her shoulders when it tickled her neck. A smile was permanent on her face afterwards, and all due to the kind act of Peter Parker.