19 - YOUTUBE SENSATION

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WHY DID PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE? Why couldn't everyone just live forever and never ever have to age? Alissa would much rather have everyone she loved lived longer and be able to fulfill whatever dreams they had set in the back of their minds. They deserved to do that much, and yet, death still came and knocked them off their feet, whisking them away. Alissa hated everything about it—it wasn't fair. Not to her, not to her family, not to her friends, and especially to the boy and his aunt who were stood across from her and her family.

The heartbreak was almost too much to bare when losing someone, and she could feel it banging in her chest. She closed her eyes, forcing her tears back. A hand went to her shoulders, pulling her into their side. Alissa didn't look. She already knew it was her father.

The man who was decked in all black stood beside her, blinking away his own tears. Carter and Brian were on the other side of Scott with their mother. Kelli was softly sniffling, her tears trailing down her cheeks. Carter grabbed her hand, not looking at her as he held her hand. Brian wasn't exactly sure what the feel standing around those mourning. He liked Ben and had even spent some time with him throughout the years, but, he wasn't very close to the man. Grief was one of the things that Brian hadn't experienced with someone he personally knew, and though it didn't affect him all too much, he still felt like there was something missing now.

"He was a good man," Scott softly said. Alissa let a sigh pass her lips, lifting her gaze to meet her fathers. She sadly smiled, nodding in agreement.

Ben Parker was a good man.

He didn't deserve to die the way he did.

A few minutes passed and Alissa plucked up enough courage to look in front of her at the remaining Parker's. May had her arm looped through Peter's, eyes closed as tears streamed down her cheeks. Finally, Alissa's eyes swiveled to the frowning boy beside May.

Peter's hair wasn't very well done, curls sticking out while some were pushed back. He wore a suit, flat and smelling of fresh linen. His eyes were dark, no light evident in them anymore. His shoulders were drooped forward, his focus pinned to the casket. Alissa sniffled, blinking as Peter lifted his head, meeting her gaze.

Something unusual was sparking on his face and Alissa wasn't quite sure if that was a good or bad thing.

° ° °

"Is he not here?"

Alissa puffed out some air. "No, but I can't blame him. I wouldn't come either," she said, referring to the fifth day Peter had been a no show at school. She had given him his space, opting to just text him from time to time to check in. He didn't always respond, and when he did, they were usually short and very vague. When she talked to May, she was almost the same. Alissa didn't blame them. She understood it would take some time for them to begin coping with Ben's sudden and tragic death that was a little over a week ago.

Alissa's family had seemingly moved on, adjusting back into their routine. Scott and Kelli found themselves working a lot more again, though, they tried harder to be with their children. It wasn't very easy, but still, the kids noticed it. Carter was still hesitant, though. He'd had his heart broken many times, and there was no way he would let it happen again, or to his siblings who he wouldn't let get crushed.

"When was the last time you talked to him?" Alissa asked Harry, frowning.

No matter how many times she walked past the complex when walking with Mary Jane, she could never bring herself to knock on the Parker door. Knowing who was behind the door, what he was feeling, made her stop, not wanting to bother Peter or May. Maybe they could use the sight of a friendly face, but, Alissa wasn't too sure. She just wanted to be there for them, but wasn't sure how.

"Yesterday," Harry answered. "He didn't say much, but he said he might come back today. I guess he decided he wasn't ready yet."

Alissa sighed, but nodded. "I wanna see him, but I don't know if he'd want me to. . ."

"Of course he would," Gwen objected, standing at the edge of the table Alissa was sharing with Harry. The blonde was genuinely smiling, nodding with Harry and Mary Jane. Alissa faintly smiled at the three. "I'm sure he'd like to see a friendly face, especially yours."

Alissa raised a brow. "What's that supposed to mean?'" Harry stole a glance at the blonde girl. "He—"

"Just trust me," Gwen patted Alissa hand, her sweet smile and soft eyes comforting Alissa in the same way they always did. "Okay? He'll be happy to see you."

Alissa smiled. "Okay, I'll go see him after school."

The school bell rang, Mr. Dickinson walking in the last few seconds. He sent a wave to his class, giving Gwen a pointed stare when he saw she wasn't in her seat. The girl let out a nervous laugh, quickly scurrying off to her own after sharing an unreadable look with Harry and Mary Jane. Alissa combed some of her hair back behind her ears, picking up her pencil and opening her folder to grab her homework that was due.

Harry discreetly slid his hand over, pulling the paper in between him and Alissa. The girl gave him a look when she saw his wasn't done, but she didn't say anything. She didn't want him to get in trouble, especially if it would result in a phone call to his father. That wouldn't end well for either of them and would be too much trouble for what it was worth.

The girl sent him a smile when he flashed her his Osborn Smirk, lightly laughing when he playfully winked. She turned her focus back to their teacher, frowning slightly as he focused his gaze on his computer, eyebrows raising and sinking every few seconds.

"Uh, Mr. Dickinson?" Mary Jane said, raising her hand. The teachers head shot up, looking flustered. "Is something wrong?"

"No, oh, no," Mr. Dickinson laughed, shaking his head. "In fact, it's quite the opposite."

Alissa and Harry shared a confused look with one another.

Mr. Dickinson went around his desk, turning on the projector above his head and sat in a seat, looking to the smart board that was next to his desk.

YouTube pulled up.

"Have you guys seen this?" He asked.

"Spider-Boy Saves a Family?" Flash read the title, blinking. "Of course we have. He's amazing!"

"I haven't seen it," Gwen said, ignoring the offense that Flash seemed to hold for her not having seen the most recent video pertaining to Queens new superhero.

Mr. Dickinson stood, hurrying to his computer and pressing play. Alissa focused her eyes on the screen, watching as the video began to play.

The video began with a car hurtling towards bus full of people only to be stopped by the web-slinger swung in at the last minute, putting himself in between the car and the bus. His hands harshly smacked down on the hood of the car, stopping it from crashing into the bus.

Students who hadn't seen the video gasped, murmurs spreading throughout the classroom. Alissa bit the inside of her cheek, continuing to watch the video as the spider boy whooshed out a web and pulled himself away from the scene, and the video ended.

"Wasn't that so cool?" Flash asked, glancing around the classroom. Alissa was impressed, but there was nothing special about him. Superheroes were nothing knew to the city of New York considering Iron Man resided just around the corner with the rest of the Avengers.

"He is!" Mr. Dickinson agreed, nodding while heading back to his desk, clearing his throat. "He's YouTube's newest sensation."