30 - I LOVE YOU

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"YOU KNOW, MAYBE THIS IS A SIGN," Brian suggested, offering a timid smile to Alissa as they waited in line of the middle school, waiting until the cars moved up closer to the main entrance before Brian decided to get out. Off to the side, a teenage couple was leaning up against a tree, one wearing a Spider-Man shirt while the other wore a Spider-Man tank top. "Peter likes Spider-Man, like a lot, and you basically like Spider-Man—"

"I don't like Spider-Man," Alissa objected, but neither brother believe her.

"Really? Says the girl who Spider-Man saves the most and brings home so she doesn't get cold and knows her name," Carter pointed out, laughing as he did so. Sunglasses were perched on his nose, hiding his eyes, but the amusement was there in his voice and in his widespread smirk.

"He hasn't saved me that many times," Alissa defensively scoffed, "And the other times he just showed up, but I had it all handled. I didn't need him."

"We know," Brian said, rolling his eyes in exasperation. "You say it every day."

"Well you remind me every day," she retorted. Brian flicked her ear, making her spin around and take a swing at him as he let out a panicked cry. "Hey, easy! I have to look nice today!"

Alissa paused. "Why?"

"Uh, no reason," Brian tried dismissing, opening the door after car moved up a few inches, but not any closer to the front of the school than they were six minutes ago.

Carter reached behind him, grabbing one of Brian's book bag straps, the younger boy falling back into the car as the door slipped closed, his body collapsing onto the leather seats. "Not so fast, little dude," Carter chuckled, inching the car forward more.

"Why do you have to look so nice today?" Alissa questioned, eyes pinned to Brian. Carter's eyes shined with curiosity, a sly smile etched in his lips. Alissa was biting her lip in anticipation as she waited for Brian's answer. It was clear he'd put more effort into his curls, making them shiny and more fluffy. He wore a polo shirt and tan jeans, which was weird itself as he normally wore pun shirts or sweaters, but he wasn't.

"I, uh," Brian cleared his throat, nervously fiddling with his fingers, "I'm gonna ask Nate out."

Alissa squealed, reaching around and smacking carter's arm in excitement. The boy let out a shout, wincing and rubbing his arm, eyes back on the road. Brian rolled his eyes, shaking his head. He regretted being honest.

"That's amazing, B," Alissa said.

Brian blushed, eyes looking out at the window as they got close enough to the entrance for him to book it to the door without getting too cold along the way.

"What about that crush on Harry?" Carter asked. Brian's eyes widened. "Did you really think I didn't know? Everyone knew."

"Really?" Brian gasped. Alissa scrunched up her nose, tilting her head to side while offering him a small smile. He shrugged. "It's whatever, it's still there, so, if this doesn't work out with Nate, he's my backup."