21 - ALL I WANT

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

SPIDER-MAN THIS, SPIDER-MAN THAT—EVERYTHING REVOLVED AROUND SPIDER-MAN. Spider-Man was everywhere in New York. No matter where Alissa looked or turned, there the boy was (she knew he was a teen by his voice). Her friends constantly gushed about him in their free time or when someone else mentioned him, Peter sometimes adding in his positive thoughts while Alissa simply rolled her eyes at everything that was said. Despite the madness and hype that the arachnid-like boy had brought, she couldn't enjoy it.

She was well aware of heroics that were done by other superheroes—the Avengers—and finding that there was another
enhanced person, also in New York, it wasn't all that exciting to her. She had more important things to worry about than who the masked hero was, even if a part of her was still trying to put the pieces of the familiar feeling he gave her together to solve part of that mystery. However, she always suppressed that feeling of curiosity, forcing herself to think of other things that wouldn't leave her questioning everything.

White coated the city of Queens, small flakes of snow seeping down from the clouds and coating the chilly city. Clouds aimlessly roamed the gray skies, a chilling breeze flowing through the currently vacant streets. The first semester of school was nearly over, exams quickly approaching the students at Midtown High. Scott and Kelli were scrounging their work once again, Alissa having heard them late one night when they were peaking into her bedroom, whispering about their work as they checked on her supposedly sleeping figure.

"You really think so?"

"It's a long shot. . .but it's possible. We just have to wait, run some more tests, and then, we should have our answer."

The door closed after that, and Alissa was left wondering what they had been talking about. She didn't hear them the next time, but she knew that they checked on her, as well as her brothers. A part of her was happy that they were actually trying to make more time for their kids, even if it meant having to peak into their darkened rooms while they slept, she still appreciated it. Carter, on the other hand, was still skeptical, noticing the similar pattern that their parents were falling back into.

Alissa and Brian weren't going to lose their already faint hope—not yet, at least. This was the most effort they'd ever seen their parents put in, and they wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, even if a small part of them said they were holding onto false hope.

"Hey, did you hear about Spider-Man's latest save?" Brian whirled around, his heart stopping a little when seeing his crush, Nate Marsh, standing next to him, a kind smile on his thin lips. He had no idea that Brian liked him, and the younger boy was thankful for it. Having thought the entire situation of wanting to tell him that he liked him, Brian realized it wasn't a good time. Alissa tried getting him to do it again, but he was keen on not doing it until he was sure that he was fully ready, and, that he was willing to accept the whole idea of Nate actually being his crush. "He saved an entire family from their house while it was on fire! Isn't that amazing, B?"