7 - GIRLS DAY

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

TWO DAYS HAD PASSED SINCE PETER AND ALISSA HAD THE DAY TO JUST THE TWO OF THEM, AND NOTHING HAD CHANGED. In fact, it only made Alissa's crush on Peter become even stronger—if that was even possible. Of course, she denied it when the thought dawned on her later that night when Peter was long gone and she was home alone. She was kind of hoping he'd give her just a little more attention than he normally did after they eat, but it was still the same amount the following Monday.

She hadn't even mentioned the alone time to Gwen or Mary Jane, or anyone for that matter. She knew that they would just tease her about it, and so she decided against it, pushing the feeling of guilt to the back of her mind. Sometimes their teasing was alright and even made her laugh along with them, but sometimes, it was also too much when their playful jabs went on and on, continuously.

Though, when Gwen and Mary Jane asked her to go shopping with them after school on Tuesday, she didn't know if she'd be able to keep it a secret from either of them much longer. She didn't necessarily like keeping it from them, but it was nice having the memory of that wonderful day with Peter all to herself; and of course, share it with him as well. He might not of admired it as much as she did, but knowing he would remember it made her heart pitter patter.

"It's gonna be amazing," Mary Jane gushed, eyes dreamily staring out at the sky as she, Alissa, and Gwen made their way outside after the school bell rang, ending the day.

Gwen's father, the Police Captain, George Stacy, had the day off from work, kindly offering to drive the girls around as he didn't have much else to do that warm and sunny day. "Ned's going to be the stagehand and. . ."

Alissa's attention drew to the side, head perking up when she saw Peter heading towards his uncle Ben's car that was parked a few feet away from where she was standing. The small boy had a smile plastered on his face, beckoning Harry Osborn into the backseat. Alissa dreamily sighed, smiling at the back of his head without realizing it. Peter turned around when he felt someone staring at him, eyes locking with Alissa.

Her body stiffened, her nerves relaxing when Peter sent her a kind, friendly smile before climbing into the passenger seat.

At least he hadn't noticed that blush on her cheeks when she failed to hide it.

"Alissa? What are you—oh, I get it," Mary Jane said, smugly grinning as she caught sight of the familiar white car driving away. Alissa pursed her lips together into a five line, playfully narrowing her eyes at the dark haired girl. Mary Jane brightly beamed, showing off her perfectly white teeth. "You two really need a day all to yourselves. Then you could finally make your move—"

"Afternoon, girls," Captain Stacy greeted them, pulling up to the curb with Gwen nestled in the passenger seat, grinning at her waiting friends. "Where to today?" He wondered, leaning forward to see around his daughter.

Alissa—happy that she didn't have to talk Peter at the moment—shared a knowing glance with Gwen and Mary Jane. George raised a brow, unaware of what plans the girls had in mind.

"The mall. We got a lot of shopping to do before Homecoming," Gwen cheerfully answered. Mary Jane squealed in delight, grabbing Alissa by her wrist and tugging her into the backseat of the car while Gwen and her father chuckled, the car beginning to move forward.

° ° °

20 stores, four pretzels, making googly eyes at boys, and three fizzy sodas later, the girls were finally exhausted and ready to head home after a long day. Gwen's father had wandered around on his own, hoping to find something sweet for Gwen's mother as their anniversary was coming up in a few weeks and he didn't want to buy something at that last minute. He checked on them from time to time, receiving short replies from his daughter who was having too much fun at the time to give him a full report on what store they were wandering around in.

After hitting all the stores they wanted, the three girls headed to the food court, sitting down with heavy sighs where they were meant to meet George. Gwen leaned back in the wooden chair, placing her Rue 21 bag on the table, eyes slightly wide with the rest of her bags placed around her feet.

"I think we really hit the shop till we drop," Gwen airily commented, rubbing the heel of her foot, cradling it on her lap. "My feet are literally killing me."

"Mine are too," Mary Jane added, glancing from Gwen and then to Alissa. Gwen titled her head to side, eyes swerving to Alissa who had hardly bought anything. "At lease we shopped."

The girl sank in the chair, lips turned downward. "I didn't see anything that I wanted!" She defensively said, not liking the looks Gwen and Mary Jane shared with one another at her feeble response.

"You mean anything Peter would like?" Mary Jane assumed, fiddling with her scarf that dangled around her neck. She'd bought it that same day, saying she would be able to use it for her upcoming play. Alissa simply rolled her eyes and gazed down at the table. "I saw the way you looked at some of those clothes. Peter would be a total idiot not to like anything you wore."

"Yeah, she's right," Gwen agreed, nodding along with Mary Jane's statement. Alissa faintly smiled, shrugging and leaning forward with her elbows on the table, her hands holding her head up.

"I don't know," she said after a few moments of silence, "I really don't. I think he likes the color blue since the other day he picked—"

"The other day?" Gwen interjected, hers and Mary Jane's attention completely on her. Gwen's eyes were enlarged, Mary Jane's mouth gaping. Alissa's eyes widened as well and her heart nearly stopped at the mention of Peter.

She couldn't believe she had uttered a word about the other day, having been so good about it the entire shopping trip, and finally speaking of him, it seemed to have made her less aware of what she was saying when talking about him. "What the happened the other day, Alissa?"

Alissa pursed her lips together, fiddling with her fingers, not wanting to respond. Gwen and Mary Jane simply stared, both silently and anxiously waiting for the juicy details of whatever occurred the other day with Alissa and Peter. She glanced from one friend to the other, heart sinking with no way out of it.

With a reluctant sigh, Alissa began to tell them what happened the other day when she got to spend some alone time with Peter after wanting to for so long. She didn't give them all the details of what happened that day, wanting to keep some of it to herself.

"That's amazing, Alissa!" Gwen beamed, eyes crinkled shut in pure joy for her best friend. Mary Jane clapped her hands together excitedly, having no control as she let out a gleeful squeal for her friend. Alissa lightly laughed at their reactions, a little less frightened as they turned out to be the exact opposite of what she thought would happen.

But slowly, their smiles fell and their laughter died down. Sadness and hurt now filled their facial features, and Alissa frowned, the guilt of not telling of them settling in the pit of her stomach once again.

"How could you not tell us?" Gwen wondered, eyes swimming with pure hurt. Mary Jane's lips were curled downward, shoulders hunched forward in sadness. Alissa truly felt guilty, knowing that they probably would have been more happy if she had just told them sooner, and now, she was paying the price for keeping from them for so long.

"I don't, I just—"

"You girls ready to go?" Captain Stacy asked, finding the girls at a table near the front. He had three bags in his hands, one from Bath & Body Works for his lovely wife.

The girls all stood, Alissa unable to respond as they made their way back to the car.