26 - SNOWBALL SMACKDOWN

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WITH SO MUCH SNOW HAVING DESCENDED UPON QUEENS, IT WASN'T HARD TO WONDER WHY SCHOOL WAS CANCELLED. Alissa was overjoyed, happy with the fact that she could sleep in and procrastinate on her homework even longer. Brian was a little saddened because—while he wasn't able to tell Nate that he likes him—he was going to try and do it during lunch as Nate had started sitting at Brian and Xavier's table with a few of his own friends, too. Carter was ecstatic, finding a reason to invite his girlfriend over so they could hangout.

"Wait," Alissa backtracked, standing in front of Carter's opened door, "Girlfriend? Is Liz your girlfriend? Finally?"

Carter smirked. "Yeah, I asked her yesterday," he answered, pulling his legs up on his bed, adjusting the Xbox controller that rested between his hands, his headset snaked around his neck. Their was quiet yelling coming from the TV, and she could already tell that it was Flash.

Alissa gaped at her brother, folding her arms over her chest. "Why didn't you tell me?" She hastily demanded to know. "What is it with you and B not telling me things anymore?"

Carter let out a small laugh. "I wanted to see if it would actually last a few hours," he answered before motioning to the headset he just plugged in. "Now, if you'll excuse, I got a date to kick Flash's ass in Battlefield." Alissa wasn't able to respond as carter pulled the headset over his head, leaving no chance. She didn't mind, though. She had other plans.

But so did her friends.

Alissa ran a hand through her hair as she headed back to her room, plopping down at her desk. Her unfinished homework was splayed out in front of her, having been dropped the very second she found out that school was cancelled when her father called out from the kitchen to her and her brothers. He wasn't sure if they even heard him, but he was quickly hearing cries of joy, making him and his wife laugh. Sadly, they still had to go into work, Kelli having stopped by her kids' rooms in the morning to tell them, but also to assure them that they've made a breakthrough at the lab which—hopefully—meant that they would continue to be home more often than not.

Alissa sighed, her eyes glancing to the TV. The remote was resting beside her, and she reached over, turning it on. The news was on, and Alissa wasn't paying too much attention until she heard the name of Wakanda. She titled her head, turning up the volume. 

"A bomb hidden in a news van ripped through the UN building in Vienna. More than 70 people have been injured. At least 12 are dead, including Wakanda's King T'Chaka. Officials have released a video of a suspect who they have identified as James Buchanan Barnes, the Winter Soldier. The infamous HYDRA agent, linked to numerous acts of terrorism and political assassinations. . ."

Alissa gasped, blinking at the shocking news. So much horror was going on lately, and the fact that a bomb was set off at the meeting that was meant for the signing of the Accords, well, it was unsettling for Alissa. She sighed, running a hand along her face and turning back to face her desk. She had been planning to procrastinate on her homework that would have been due that day, but she had a feeling school would be in session the next day, and so it would be best for her to get it done rather than hope for something that most likely wouldn't happen.