20 - DAMSEL IN DISTRESS

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT RESPONSIBILITY."

Those were the words that imbedded themselves in the brain of Peter Parker. His late Uncle Ben had said those words to him just hours before his death, and Peter knew that he would never forget them. In fact, he was going to live by it; a kind of mantra that would help guide him with his newfound superpowers. No one else was aware of those powerful words or just how impactful they were to the teen, but he did, and it would be what gave him his strength to continue fighting.

And it would be what prevented him from going after what he wanted.

"Alissa stopped by this morning," Aunt May said, softly smiling at her nephew as she came down the hall. Her glasses were perched on the edge of her nose, a wooly sweater adorning her cold shoulders. The weather was growing colder, and the streets were becoming more popular for late night criminal activity. "She brought a basket of cookies, too. She and Brian made them."

Peter faintly nodded, biting the inside of his cheek as sirens and flashing lights sped past the complex. His eyes darted to the front door and then back to his aunt. She maneuvered into the kitchen, gently humming. "Would you like one?" May asked, peering around the corner, offering Peter a faint smile.

Peter shook his head and stood up. "U-Uh, no thanks. I think—I think I'm gonna go see her." May's eyebrows noticeably shot up in surprise. Peter let out a little laugh, twisting his lips. "If that's okay with you, May. I just haven't really talked to her—"

"Oh, yes! Go, go on," May waved her hand, even going as far as to nudge him towards the door, almost a little too encouraging. Peter made a face at her unusual excitement, but he chose not to comment on it. "Make sure to tell her and Brian we said thank you for the cookies. They're wonderful!"

Peter momentarily paused, stopping himself from tugging on his sneakers. "Did you even eat one?" He questioned the dark haired woman.

May scoffed, opening the door. "No, I didn't, but I already knew they're going to be tasty," she responded. Peter let out a laugh, shrugging on a jacket as he stepped out into the hall. May bit her lip and pulled him in for a hug, exhaling deeply. "Please be safe, Peter."

Peter tightened his grip on the woman. "I will," he said. May knew she could trust him to be good and follow the rules, but little did she know that the boy had other plans that what she was led to believe, and it was the opposite of safe.

But she didn't know that.

With a final goodbye and kiss on the cheek, Peter was heading for the elevator, checking his wrists to make sure his web shooters were full. Seeing they were full and ready to be used, he tiredly smiled and sucked in a deep breath, taking a moment to prepare himself to take on the criminals that were slithering out of the shadows and getting ready to strike.