12 - FAMILY FEUD

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

PETER WAS NEARLY OUT OF THE SCHOOL WHEN ALISSA CAUGHT UP TO HIM NEAR THE EXIT. She reached her hand out to stop him from leaving so soon, but he quickly spun around, making her freeze in surprise at his actions. Peter's face flashed with anger at first, but realizing it was just Alissa and not Flash, he easily relaxed. Though, he still seemed tense and uncomfortable with being at school at the moment.

Alissa cleared her throat, letting her hand fall to her side.

"Peter," Alissa wasn't sure what else to say, not knowing how to comfort him or even understand what had just happened exactly. He didn't look sick, but he had beads of sweat forming on his forehead, his eyes constantly darting around the hallway, slightly flinching as if he heard something loudly snap right by his ear. "Are you. . .are you okay, Pete?" Was the only thing she could bring herself to say in that moment, sorry and concern laced with her quiet face.

But he had heard it perfectly clear.

Peter let out a groan, running a stressful hand over his face, shaking his head from side to side. "I-I'm-I don't know why I cam today," he admitted, sighing. Alissa's frowned. Peter locked eyes with her, sighing again, stepping back towards the door. Alissa's frown deepened. "I'm just gonna go home and rest some more. I-I'll see you later."

Alissa didn't say anything as Peter left the school in a hurry, cursing at herself for not trying harder to make him talk to her and let her in. Clearly, something was going on with him. She figured he was still just sick with something that he had caught from the dozens of bugs they were around during the demonstration the day before. She took a few steps closer to the door, gazing out of the window, hoping to catch a glimpse of Peter down the street, but he was already gone and out of sight.

"Alissa!" Heavy footsteps pounded down the hall from the cafeteria, making the girl turn. Harry, Gwen, and Mary Jane were making their way towards her, hurrying to her with panicked looks. Harry slowed, noticing Peter wasn't with her. "Where's Pete?"

Alissa frowned, "He left," she said. Sadness washed over their features, making Alissa roll her eyes. "He's just sick. I'm sure he'll be fine in a few days. Let's just give him some space for now."

Rather than teasing or giving her pitiful looks, they all kindly smiled, urging her back to the cafeteria to finish lunch. She was thankful. She didn't think after such odd and eventful day she could handle much more.

But she was gonna have to for what was coming when she got home.

° ° °

Alissa walked home with Brian that day after school, Carter having to stay behind to finish up his Algebra 2 test and then drop Flash off at his house. She wasn't as talkative as normal, and honestly, it kind of terrified Brian.