29 - STRANGER DANGER

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"UNBELIEVABLE."

Alissa stood in the driveway of her house, her eyes looking over the driveway and opened garage doors, not seeing either of her parents cars. Carter's car was parked in the garage, warmth still radiating off of the hood as Alissa held her hand over it, finding that he hadn't arrived home that long ago. Brian's bike was lazily leaned against the wall, the wheels tainted with mud which was odd seeing as he normally didn't ride his bike anywhere that mud would've been.

Alissa heaved her book bag over her shoulder, puffing out her cheeks as she headed inside, going through the kitchen and dropping her back on the counter.

"Mom and Dad make you come home, too?" Alissa turned, finding both of her brothers seated at the kitchen table. She sighed, kicking off her shoes, shaking her head. Carter scoffed, folding his arms and leaning back in the wooden chair. "Figures. They want us home, but they're not even here to tell us why."

Alissa bit the inside of her cheek and sat down in her seat, pulling her knees up to her chest. "Maybe it's a good thing?" She tried, though, she didn't sound so assured herself, wincing after the fact. Brian sadly smiled, looking down at his homework.

"How'd the tutoring session go today?" Carter asked.

Alissa bit her bottom lip, sinking in her seat just slightly. She didn't think it would prove or silently say anything to either of her curious and suspicious brothers, but when she looked to both of her brothers, she saw them grinning so widely that it sent chills down her arms.

She repositioned herself, doing a double take at their similar expressions, leaning away from them noticeably. "What are those goofy smiles for?" She demanded to know.

"Oh please," Brian laughed, his attention slipping from his homework and to his brother and sister. "Like you don't already know." Carter chuckled along with Brian, both of them expecting their sister to join them, however, she didn't. She only blankly stared, having a feeling that they thought something that didn't happen actually happened.

When they realized she wasn't going to join their laughter, it died down, their faces falling. "Wait, did you not tell him how you feel?" Carter asked, sounding shocked, and a little disappointed.

Alissa rolled her eyes, eyes swiveling to the bare table. "No, I didn't," she sharply said. "That wasn't even my plan. I went there to study and get help, and if I told him how I felt, then that could've messed it up and then I'd fail this entire semester, and I can't have that. Not after busting my ass so much just to get the grades I have."

"Shit, sorry," Carter huffed, "But really, it wouldn't ruin anything. It make everything better. Trust me."

Alissa rested her head on her knees, looking at him with uncertainty. "How could it possibly make everything better?"