8 - FRIENDS FOR LIFE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"CAN'T YOU GUYS JUST, I DON'T KNOW, KISS AND MAKE UP?"

Alissa sharply narrowed her eyes, faintly shaking her head. Carter carelessly shrugged, smugly smirking as he ate a chocolate chip pop-tart. "But isn't that what girls do when they fight with each other? Like wearing frilly pajamas and having pillow fights during sleepovers?" Alissa cracked a small, slightly annoyed, grin, causing one to appear on Carter's face as well, happy to see her happy herself.

He didn't like seeing his sister so upset. If he saw either of his siblings looking down, he made it his job and responsibility to make them happy when no one else was able to do so. He would never admit it out loud, but it was obvious to Alissa, and she was thankful that he even did it at all. Despite what many would assume about the oldest Caverly, Carter did in fact have a warm and kind heart. Sure enough, he would do almost anything to keep his siblings happy and safe, no matter what the cost turned out to be. But there wasn't too much he could do to help Alissa except make smile and take her mind off of what happened at the mall. He had no idea what occurred that day, but he knew something happened between his sister and her two best friends.

Thankfully, Alissa, Gwen, and Mary Jane were still on speaking terms, but there was some clear tension lingering in the air between them. Their text messages weren't as frequent as they used to be. Their laughs and giggles seemed forced sometimes, and Alissa wasn't so sure if they really had forgiven her as they had claimed after all.

She knew they were still upset, feeling that Alissa had felt like she couldn't trust them with something that was clearly so important to her. If it was important to her, then it was important to them as well. Only, Alissa realized that a bit too late to fix what had been done. She was going to keep trying to rekindle with them. And and who knew, maybe today, they'd be back on better terms than they were before.

She'd just have to wait and see.

Alissa finished the last of her own pop-tart, sidedly glancing at Carter, the cold air conditioning making her cheeks flush. The sun was still creeping over the horizon, being so early in the morning as they sat in Midtown High's parking lot. It was early, almost a little to early for Carter, but sitting in the car with his sister while they waited five minutes before the first bell, he found it wasn't too bad.

"Is that what you and Flash did?"Alissa wondered curiously, teasing him, of course.

Carter snapped his head around almost too suddenly, eyes slightly widened in a panicked manner. His usually pale cheeks were tinted pink, lips parting, bits and pieces of words coming out, but not making sense. Alissa gasped, leaning back in the leather seat, her hand going to cover her mouth.

"No, no. No!" Carter frantically denied the insinuation, but it was too late to change Alissa's mind. The girl continued to stare, wide eyed and purely shocked. Carter groaned loudly, running a stressful hand through his hair, frantically shaking his head. "God, no. W-We didn't do that, okay? He—No, okay? Nothing happened. Well, it did—" Alissa squeaked, almost sounding similar to one very angry bird, "—But not in the way you think, I swear! It wasn't like that!"