36 - MERCHANT OF DEATH

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

WITH LOVE SWINDLING ONE OF QUEENS NEWEST COUPLES, SO WAS HEARTBREAK. It was ironic, really, that when Peter finally lands the girl he'd been pining after for so long—even before he knew it—he became so happy, maybe even a little distracted, and while Peter had won, Spider-Man has failed. So much praise had followed the former onesie wearing hero, even with the negativity from J. Jonah Jameson at the Daily Bugle (Alissa used to wonder why Peter got so defensive over articles the man wrote about Spider-Man). However, with Spider-Man's latest failure, the city was retracting their much of their praise and replacing it with nasty insults and degrading terms.

Inside the Caverly home, tension was amongst the family, but they didn't even know it. Scott and Kelli were sat on the couch, Scott reading the newspaper while Kelli worked on some last minute calculations for the finishing touches of her and Scott's project. Time and time again they said they were close to a breakthrough, but it seemed they never actually made it. This time, though, they were certain they were closer than ever before. 

Alissa sidedly glanced over at her mother, notching the way the woman's face was scrunched together, brows furrowed. Her foot anxiously moved up and down, eyes scanning over her calculations. Every so often, Scott would gently touch his wife's thigh and whisper in her ear, seemingly reassuring her while helping as he pointed at something on the paper in front of her on the coffee table. Carter had his headphones tucked in his ears, Alissa at the opposite end of the couch, quiet certain she was hearing snippets of some One Direction song playing. Brian was in the kitchen, scrimmaging through the cabinets for a snack. And the only real kind of conversation was the one on TV between the news anchor, discussing Spider-Man's latest failure, and quite negatively for someone who wasn't supposed to be biased.

"—Luckily, none were killed in the accident, but at least five are in the ICU and many more are injured." Alissa peaked up from her own phone she was on, subconsciously narrowing her eyes at the news woman who spoke. "And sadly, Queens own personal tormentor, Electro, escaped the once heroic hero, Spider-Man."

"He's still a hero," Alissa bitterly muttered, rolling her eyes.

Scott lifted his head, focusing on his daughter across the room. "What'd you say, hon?"

Alissa didn't even hesitate. "I said he's a hero," she nudged her head towards the TV. "Spider-Man. He's a hero."

Carter pulled out one headphone, having heard his sister, clearly confused. "I thought you hated Spider-Man?"

Kelli had looked up from her own work, exchange a quick glance with her husband.

Alissa silently groaned, leaning back into the couch so her head was on the arm rest, a soft pillow placed behind her. "I never said that," she said, giving Carter a look that screamed shut up. "Besides, he did help B."