27 - STUDY SESSION

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

"HOW COULD YOU BE FAILING?"

Alissa's eyes sharply snapped towards Carter, smacking him in side of head as he headed down the stairs right behind her. After the long and playful yet dangerous snowball fight, Alissa invited all of her friends inside to warm up with some hot chocolate and one or two Christmas movies. With blue lips and wet clothes, it wasn't hard for them to accept the offer, nearly racing each other inside to get into the warmth that was just waiting to embrace them.

"Would you shut up?" Alissa seethed, eyes burning into her brother. He defensively held his hands up, tucking up the sleeves of his navy blue sweater he threw on. His hair was still a little damp, but so was everyone else's from the snow that had been showered upon them like an intense rainstorm. "I don't need—"

"Woah, failing?" Gwen repeated in bewilderment, concern laced within her usually cheerful voice. Harry was no longer smile, and neither were Mary Jane and Peter. They looked confused and worried, Peter most of all. "Who's failing?"

"Not me," Carter smugly said. His smile was wiped away when Alissa jammed her elbow into his stomach, making him groan in pain. "O-Or Alissa," He breathlessly wheezed.

Alissa rolled her eyes, shooting him one last nasty glare while she plopped down on the couch beside Peter. Then, she let her attention return her friends, ignoring the incomprehensible grumbles and curses that were thrown at her by Carter. "I'm not failing," Alissa assured her friends, notching the looks of relief that flashed over her friends faces, sighs of relief being heard, "Not yet, at least."

"Alissa," Mary Jane gaped, "You can't fail, not with only two weeks left."

"I'm not gonna fail," Alissa responded, giving her friend a look in hopes that the subject would be dropped. She already knew her grades were steadily decreasing, but she didn't need to be reminded of it. "I can manage."

"You sure?" Gwen asked, eyes kind and soft as they met Alissa's.

Alissa sighed, dropping her head into her hands. "Honestly, no, I'm not. Geometry is kicking my ass," she admitted, knowing it was better to just talk about it. That way, they wouldn't keep pestering her about it until she finally confessed.

"Geometry?" Peter repeated. Alissa nodded, scooting on the couch so she was facing him a little more. "I-I'm pretty good at geometry. Maybe I could help?" Alissa's head perked up. "O-Only if you want. I'm sure there's someone—"

"No, no," Harry objected, "You help her."
Alissa gave Harry a discreet look. "It's not like she has anyone else in mind, right, Al?"

Peter turned to Alissa, doing a double take when he saw a dark expression on her face. When she looked back to him, an innocent smile replaced it, a nervous laugh spilling off her tongue. "Uh, not really, no," she answered, fiddling with her hands. While she did like Peter, and she liked when he gave her attention, she wasn't liking it in that moment. She felt exposed, helpless, having to ask for help with something such as geometry.