14 - PARTY TIME

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

CARTER WAS TRULY HAPPY TO BE GOING TO LIZ'S PARTY. He had only been pining after the girl since he first saw her black locks, her chocolate colored eyes, and her beautifully dark skin on his first day of Kindergarten when they arrived to Ms. Lockhart's class at the same time, catching the other's eye.

It was that same year the two five year olds ended up sitting by each other for the whole year, giggling and laughing about anything and everything each day. Carter didn't care if she might've been contaminated with 'cooties'. He just wanted to always be with Liz. However, the next year, they were split apart when they were put in different classrooms.

The only time they could see each other anymore was at recess, but Liz's friends always dragged her away from him, claiming that he had 'cooties'. Carter's friends pushed him onto the basketball court, telling him to just shoot hoops in order to forget about the girl. That had started his passion for basketball, but it was also what started the drift between Liz and Carter. Thus, they became mere strangers. Though, Carter finally made a plan to get the girl of dreams, taking the party to be his perfect opportunity to finally woo the Allan girl, and it had everything to do with what costume he had in mind.

"A costume party?" Alissa said, face contorted into pure confusion. "It's not almost—" Alissa's eyes swirled to the puppy calendar pinned to her wall, brown eyes enlarging when seeing that October 31st was only two days away. She hadn't even realized how close the holiday was. "How could I forget Halloween?"

"You've had a lot going on," Gwen said, voice soft and sympathetic towards her best friend. "No one can blame you for forgetting Halloween."

Alissa smiled at the girl, sighing, trying to get all of the things that had happened within that last month. Gwen swiveled around in Alissa's rolly chair, her folder perched on her lap and pencil tucking into it. The girl scooted closer to Alissa, innocently smiling. "Buuut, if you really wanna make up for it, you can go to the party with me."

Alissa automatically shook her head, laughing at the offer. "No thanks, Gwen. I have to study for my Physics test. I have to know the entire periodic table and name three things that each one can be used for," she hastily replied, hair falling in front of her eyes when her head dipped down to the study guide that she was attempting to finish which was on her laptop.

Gwen was meant to be doing the same as Alissa as they both had the same assignment, but the blondes imaginative mind was elsewhere that chilly afternoon.

Gwen snatched the computer from Alissa, placing it on Alissa's desk a few feet away from them. Alissa groaned and fell back on the softness of her bed, running her hands over her partially acne covered face. "Halloween's two days away, Gwen. It's too late to get a good costume now."

Gwen stood from the seat, sighing as she stood at Alissa's knees, making sure Alissa could see her face. Alissa narrowed her dark eyes at the wide grin that was growing on the blondes face. She sat up slightly, holding her torso up with her elbows propped on her bed.