Why?~61

-
Fall for me
-

Night had fallen, and Rin still hadn't moved

Chenle, who had retreated to his room to conduct some business with Jisung earlier, slouched towards the living room once again, seeking a slip of paper he had left on the kitchen counter.

The dining room, living room, and kitchen all flowed into the other, and they had brought the large table in the living room, that was now rather mangled from the fight, from the dining room.

No one had bothered to return it to its original room, so Chenle had to maneuver around the large table to enter the living room, and immediately sped towards the kitchen that was just off of the bloodied room.

Quickly swiping the page off of the cold marble that it rested on, Chenle prepared to speed back towards his room to avoid striking up a conversation, but his eyes hitched on Rin- making him hesitate.

She laid a yard away from the corpse, staring blankly at the stools that lined up beside the kitchen counter, arms cradling her torso as her knees pulled up to her chin, eyes lachrymose.

She didn't acknowledge Chenle in the slightest, and he wondered if she even knew he was there; she just kept gazing into the deep layers of oblivion.

Her nose was red, and her cheeks were moist with tears that hadn't dried yet, eyes bloodshot, and her brown hair was sticking up in random angles, haphazardly falling over her face.

Unwillingly, Chenle's eyes softened slightly, and his heart tightened within his chest, but he hated the feeling- blaming the blasted soulmate bond for his unfamiliar, empathetic feelings.

Rolling his eyes at himself, Chenle's fingers tightened over his paper subtly, and began to briskly walk through the living room, aiming his saunter towards the exist that lead into the hallway.

Yet as he began to pass by Rin, he hesitated once again, eyes trailing up to her, and at her distressed figure, his heart clenched, paining him subtly.

Useless ass organ-

Chenle found himself sighing harshly, staring up at the ceiling in irritation as before he crouched down beside the girl, promptly poking her shoulder- his seemingly apathetic eyes trained on her face.

Rin flinched violently as his finger made contact with her arm, and she blinked rapidly, eyes whirling around until they landed upon her soulmate- she had been zoning out, and he had startled her out of her thoughts.

"Wh-what?" She croaked hoarsely, voice raspy from crying.

"Lovely, you're not dead," He mumbled, eyes narrowing slightly.

Rin's eyes fell to the ground for a moment as she pursed her lips together, leaning her head against the carpeted floor once again.

"Might as well be," She groused huskily, barely above a whisper.

Chenle lazily nodded, placing his hands on his knees as if he were to stand, yet he stayed rooted in his position, wordlessly debating within himself.

She's alive, that's all you had to do, now leave- you have work to finish

Eyes wandering over her distressed form, he felt glued to the floor as his eyes raked over him, and his chest viciously swirled with a mass of various emotions- emotions he hadn't felt for years, and didn't want to experience now.

Chenle detested every emotion that she stirred up within him; it was terrifying.

He had been blank and purely logistic- like a robot- after having his emotions toyed with by a wicked lover, yet Rin easily provoked them in him once again, and he couldn't stand the horribly familiar feelings that tore through his chest.

Yet he properly began to sit beside Rin, expelling a long, excruciated sigh. He was annoyed, but not at her- he was irritated by his own actions and his own feelings, believing that nothing good could ever come out of them.

Judging by the rue that writhed in his stomach that didn't quite seem like his, he assumed that Rin was guilty because of Chan's death.

An advantage of being a half of a whole was being able to understand your soulmate better than anyone else of you tried hard enough, which left Chenle with an overly correct comprehension of Rin's emotions and vice versa, but he didn't like the idea of her rummaging through his heart.

"You shouldn't blame yourself for it," He muttered, gaze drifting towards the corpse beside her.

Rin's lips pressed into a fine line, and she began to compress herself into a tighter ball- arms pulling her knees closer to her chest as her face gradually began to disappear behind her legs, compacting herself to take up the least amount of space she could.

"He had tried to kill you, Rin," He cooed, his slightly softened eyes drifting over her. "It was you or him, and I chose you- I was the one that killed him, you know."

"But he was still a human being," She murmured, voice low. "He didn't deserve death."

Rin spoke as if Chenle wasn't the one that had taken Chan's life, and it was strange to him. It was like she honestly believed that she was the reason for the boy's death, and as if she was repenting for the evil deeds she had committed, when she had done nothing wrong.

Knowing her statements weren't scolding him for murdering someone, Chenle expelled a prolonged sigh as she continued to act as if she had shot him, when she hadn't done anything of the sort.

She had tried to help him, but she felt the same remorse she would've felt if she had actually killed him as well.

You see, guilt wasn't always a reasonable emotion. It's crushing weight fell upon anyone it wished to, and it didn't matter if they deserved it or not- it devoured anyone it pleased.

And she felt it gnawing at her insides, making her stomach churn with self-loathing at her own defeat, even if she wasn't the one who pulled the trigger.

The funny thing was, she didn't blame Chenle, the one that had killed Chan, in the slightest. To her, his initial destructive intentions towards Chan were like an obstacle she was supposed to surpass, but she hadn't- collapsing before she could find her way around it.

"It's not your fault you're a good person," He sighed languidly, expression deadpan.

As if she had seen a ghost, Rin's face was pale, and her throat was scratchy and pained, feeling as if someone had scraped sandpaper along her windpipe, leaving her pained.

"I couldn't do anything," She whimpered, voice quivering with bottled emotions.