(19) Curious

The song above is Changing by Sigma featuring Paloma Faith

You can read ahead on Patreon now. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_ 

Word count: 2247

Present-day

The next day, I felt better.

Chemistry was my first lesson—a lesson I shared with Marianne and Dexter. They both greeted me with warm smiles.

I sat down at my desk, reminding myself the only way I could get the truth out of them was to get closer to them. I was already friends with them, but they didn't trust me yet. After yesterday, I had a feeling getting the truth out of them would be difficult.

"Hey," Marianne smiled, her blue eyes trained on me. "How are you?"

I slid into the seat and released a slow breath. "I'm okay."

She nodded her head, satisfied.

There was something I wanted to ask her. If I didn't, I feared it would bug me. Just as I opened my mouth, I was interrupted by the teacher. I waited, silently, with the type of patience few had, for our teacher to set us on our way.

Asking Marianne this was personal. I was worried she would feel offended. Or that she would lash out.

When the teacher finally returned to their desk and started grading papers, I turned to Marianne. Everyone else in the classroom started talking too at a normal level. It made asking her feel easier.

"Marianne," I started, shuffling in my seat so that I could face her entirely. I knew I had her full, undivided attention. "Can I ask you something? It's quite...personal." I choked out.

She cocked her head to the side, confused by what I had said.

"I don't mind."

"Why didn't you back Marianne up yesterday?" I blurted out. "I saw her face as she turned away from you—she was hurt. I—I think she needed you."