(23) Beach

The song above is Bitter Sweet Symphony by The Verve

You can read ahead on Patreon now. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 2641

That night, I tossed and turned in my bed

That night, I tossed and turned in my bed. Ferocious images of the scarred man finding me filled my mind. I was terrified. My nightmares differed throughout the night. Each one would end with me screaming as he ripped my heart out of my chest. I woke up several times.

On Sunday, I avoided my mom at all costs. Seeing her with that man and discovering they had been dating for nearly two years made me furious. How could she lie to me? How could she keep it from me?

I wanted to hate her so much. But I knew I couldn't. Despite everything, I still loved my mom so much. She meant everything to me. She looked after me—made me who I am today. We went through the loss of my dad together. So, I steered clear of her. I wanted her to know I was angry and hurt. She had to feel guilty for lying to me.

She tried to come to my room early Sunday morning. I Since my door was shut, she stood outside and begged me to come out and listen to her. She wanted to explain everything.

I blanked everything she said.

Eventually, she gave up and left. When I heard the front door close, I emerged from my room and made myself some breakfast.

As the bread toasted, I dialed Georgia's number. She answered on the third ring.

"Celeste? You okay?" She said into the phone, tiredly.

"No," I replied, my voice wavering.

I could imagine Georgia sitting up straighter, her eyes alarmed.

"What is it? What's wrong? Whose butt do I need to kick?" She was trying to be playful—it made me grateful.

I laughed lightly and used my spare hand to rub the exhaustion away from my face.

"Where do I even begin?" I muttered, loud enough for her to hear. "My mom has a boyfriend."

She gasped, shocked. Georgia has known my mother all of her life. She thought like me—mom would never date anyone else.