(22) Panic

The song above is I Got U by Duke Dumont

You can read ahead on Patreon now. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_ 

Word count: 2409

On Saturday, I decided to spend some time along

On Saturday, I decided to spend some time along. Mom was working overtime—as usual—and everyone else had homework to complete. Georgia messaged me last night, after school, telling me she felt better but embarrassed. I called her immediately and reassured her that what happened wasn't something to feel ashamed of.

She promised to meet me tomorrow.

As for today, I ventured to the local coffee shop I went to with Ellie a few days ago.

Lazarus infiltrated my mind again. Dexter had said some things I couldn't ignore. In English, I tried talking to him, but he often answered my questions with short answers. At one point, Dexter caught my eye. He nodded his head and gestured for me to continue. His reassurance helped motivate me.

Dexter told me Lazarus cared about me deeply. He also implied Lazarus liked me, romantically. That very thought made my heart race.

I wasn't going to give up on Lazarus.

In the coffee shop, I spotted a familiar face.

Mom's good friend, Barbara, was behind the counter, wiping a spillage. She didn't notice me until I cleared my throat.

Her bright brown eyes locked onto mine. She had known my mom for years. They lost contact when mom moved to Washington for school but when she moved back, they rekindled their friendship. Barbara only worked here part-time since she had another job in the city.

"Celeste! I didn't even see you there!" She exclaimed, placing a hand over her heart. "How are you dear? How's your mother?"

"I'm good. Mom's been working quite a few extra shifts this week, so I haven't seen her a lot." I informed her, sadly.

Barbara pinched her lips together in disapproval. She knew my mother worked more than most and she thought it was unhealthy. "Ah, that will explain why she hasn't replied to my messages this week."