Chapter Thirteen

"The seed of all impulse is a feeling bursting to express itself in action

"The seed of all impulse is a feeling bursting to express itself in action." - Chloe Thurlow

Alia explains to Valen that she couldn't ask her questions at the tavern because it's the same reason she's standing this far away from him.

Valen's white eyes narrow, causing Alia's breathing to tremble, and he slowly nods his head.

Neither of them speak a word and Alia sees this as an opportunity to get her thoughts out. Her voice is quiet as she looks up at the man before her, her confidence in a state of disarray. "What happened to me?"

Valen doesn't respond for a while. His expression is indecipherable, yet calm.

Alia's eyebrows raise and her full attention is on the male as he suddenly turns his head to the side, listening motionlessly to something that she cannot hear. The words that come out of his mouth are calculated and void of any emotion. It's something Alia isn't used to.

"Can you defend yourself?"

Alia watches as Valen turns his head to look at her and she wonders about who she'll have to defend herself from. Her eyes linger on the thick, muscular arms of the towering male and she quickly gathers that whoever they may be, they won't stand a chance. "Yes."

Valen's deep voice fills her ears once again as he glances at the surrounding trees. "You can either go home and wait four days for my return," his eyes flicker back to Alia and she clenches her jaw, resisting the urge to take a step back, "or you can join me."

Alia takes a deep, shaky breath. If she were someone else, maybe she would have hesitated and considered going back home, but at this moment, she couldn't care less about being comfortable. Alia has been trained by one of the most respected Commanders of the Throne... a bit of dirt and discomfort are absolutely nothing to her.

So, Alia inquires with a clear and confident voice, "Where are we going?"

Instead of answering her question, Valen silently watches the girl, curious from such a response. Part of him scolds her for acting so foolish, yet another, deeper part of him perks at the idea of having some company during this... errand. He quickly pushes it down. It is best that he go alone, although the determination in Alia's eyes tells him otherwise.

A thought slides to the front of his mind, the reason for his travels. He must warn her. "There may be bloodshed." He says, eyeing the girl's physical response.

"That's okay." She says quietly, looking to the leafy forest floor. Alia feels so different around him, so... little. She can barely handle five minutes with him, never mind four days.

The corner of Valen's mouth twitches, amused by the words coming out of a seemingly innocent female. Not a single ounce of surprise registered in her speech, a stark difference to many of the other women in the Pack.