Chapter-30

We reached hospital to find everyone in a state of panic.

"Carter, is he okay?", Olivia asked her dad, as we reached close to him.

"They are saying, he had lost a lot of blood, they are trying their best but they are not sure is he will make it", her dad got hold of her as he said this knowing she will break down listening to it.

All of us were shocked listening to what we were just told.

"Mrs. Johnson were is she?", Adam asked.
"She is sitting there", he pointed at a distance.
We all rushed to her side, only to see Carter's sister Katana sitting with her mom and crying.
I went to her side while Adam sat on to the seat next to Carter's mom and Ryan sat down on his feet near her knees.
I comforted Katana, and she took in all she could get. While Adam and Ryan tried to comfort Mrs. Johnson.
I went to my mom and handed the basket of food to her.
She took care of giving out sandwiches to everyone.

It was already 5 in the evening and Carter wasn't conscious yet. The police had come in and had taken Mrs. Johnson's and Olivia's statement as they were they only ones at home when the incident had taken place. Adam has been called by Olivia and then the message was conveyed to Ryan and me next.
This is what I had gathered from the conversation.
Something which was totally off here was the fact, how had Carter fallen. What was he doing on the terrace on the roof early in the morning, that too when Olivia was staying over at his place.
Was he sleep walking?
Dumb thought.
He doesn't sleep walk.
We have been for enough sleep overs for me to know that.
I wanted to talk to Olivia but she didn't seem in the condition to be asked questions.
I caught hold of her and took her outside for a walk.
"Olivia", I said.
She Hummer me to continue in a heavy voice.
"What was Carter doing on the roof?"
She stopped and looked at me in confusion.
She opened her mouth to say something but then closed it instantly falling short of replies.
"I just woke up in the bed when I heard his mom scream", she said in the same heavy voice breaking off multiple times while she spoke.
"How did he seem before you went off to bed?", I asked her.
"He was...... fine, I guess", she said.
"Listen", we heard Ryan call out to us from a distance.
"Your mom is asking me to take you home and make you rest", Ryan said to Olivia.
"I can't", she said on the verge on crying.
"You have to Olivia, you are here since morning", I tried to convince her.
"But...."
"We will be here, I promise If anything...... we will call you", Ryan said confirming her.
She gave in the argument and I hugged her goodbye while Ryan took her to his car.
I moved back inside the building.
I saw Adam looking outside the window of one of the ends of the corridor.
I knew he was sad. So was I . But I needed to comfort him.
I looked in the opposite direction to see Carters mother and sister sitting with our families.
So now I knew where was I needed.
I went closer to Adam.

He still was looking outside the window, deep in his thoughts

I placed a hand on his shoulder, he looked at me startled.
"Hey, you need to rest", I told him.
He did say a word, nor did he look at me. He kept looking outside the window. I stood right next to him, looking outside the window myself now.
"Why him?", he asked.
"Adam"
"Seriously Lue, why was he on the roof? Bloody hell why?", he said with frustration and anger.
I stood still.
He closed his eyes with both his hands in his hair.
After a few minutes when he seemed calm, I took his hand in my hand and lead him out of the corridor.
I told my mom that I'll be taking him home to rest, and she agreed, and she told me that they would take care of things here.
I texted Ryan,where were they and he asked me to come over to his place, as Olivia was there as well.
I drove us to his place, after picking up some clothes for me and Olivia from my house while Adam waited in the car.
I packed two night wares and track pants and tank tops for us.

We reached Ryan's at around 7.
He had made Olivia sleep after letting her cry and talking to her for an hour, he told us.
He had asked the house help to prepare the meal, and we after eating made Adam go to bed as well. He didn't wish to talk, is what we gathered when we tried to talk to him on the dinner table.
After we were sure he was sleeping, we checked on Olivia only to find her fast asleep.
The trauma of the morning had impacted the two badly. It would have had the same effect on anyone.
Ryan and I sat on his bed as we started analysing the day.
"When did you know?",  I asked him.
"Adam was calling me at around 6 in the morning", he told me.
"Will we lose Carter?", I said finally breaking in front of him, and I didn't realise I had started crying.
"Shhhh sh sh sh sh", he said while he made his way around the bed over to me.
"He will be fine, right?", I asked him.
"Yes he will be, he has to be", he said kneeling down before me, as I sat on the bed, legs hanging down.
He sat on the bed next to me, and I placed my head on his shoulder.
I felt the side of his head on top of mine and I realised he was crying as well.
The two of us hadn't cried the whole day.
But now, at this moment, we had to take care of no one around us, and only ourselves, so we cried, every bit of it, until we feel asleep.