Chapter-31

I woke up in the middle of the night only to find Ryan's hand placed on my waist, and he sleeping peacefully next to me. I was in bed, properly under the covers, my head on the pillows, but I remembered I never came here myself. Most probably Ryan had placed me in bed after I slept.
I slowly raised his arm, moved out and placed his arm lightly on his side, making sure I don't wake him up in the process.
I moved out of the room. I was thirsty so I went down to the kitchen.
I was still on the stairs when I felt someone behind me. Panicking I turned around to see Adam.
"You scared me", I said.
"Thankfully you didn't fall again", he said trying to joke but rear dwell in his eyes.
He came closer to me and signalled me to keep moving.
We went down into the kitchen, had a glass of water.
"Coffee?", he asked me.
"Hmm", I hummed.
He moved towards the coffee machine and made two mugs of coffee, one his with no sugar and no cream and one for me with 2 spoons of sugar and with cream.
We moved out in the open to clear our minds off the day for some time.
We sat on the stairs which lead to the lawn of the house and sipped our coffee in silence.
"Want to talk?", I asked him.
"After seeing Carter today in that condition, it scared me Lue, the thought of loosing him, is enough to make me weak, and I hate this, the helplessness that's I feel right now, it's just heart breaking", he said.
And we sat in comfortable silence after that sipping our coffee.
We heard foot steps a few seconds later, and turned back to see Olivia step out on the wooden deck behind us.
She came and sat quietly on the other end of the staircase placing resting her head on the wooden railing.
Neither did any of us talk, nor did we felt weird.
The feeling of being together is what is keeping us fine, even when one of us isn't fine.
We knew that what might happen tomorrow wasn't certain but neither of us had the courage to say that out, so we sat there, under the stars, feeling the cold mid night air around us, and felt the best feeling in the worst at the worst tine ever, the feeling being hope, hope that everything will be better, better than today at least and we will be in it together, no matter what.
A few minutes later Ryan stepped out of the old mansion glass door and sat next to Adam on a lower step than mine, on the right side of Olivia.
The four of us now sat together lost in our own thoughts, we kept silent, all of us looking into nothingness.
And now only one of us wasn't here. But in reality he was here, with us, in our prayers, in our hopes of the better future.
The dark night sky covered us like a blanket does and the cool night air gave us the warmth that a home would give.
We weren't fine, but in that moment we felt fine for the first time in the whole day.
Hope.
Hope is a complicated word in itself.
Whatever the situation is, hope keeps you alive, it keeps you striving, and hope keeps you hoping that everything will be fine.
"You guys remember the time Carter made us go camping", Olivia said looking into oblivion.
"He wanted to see constellations", Adam remembered.
"And me made me carry the telescope all the way up to the camping site", Ryan said.
"And he was so disappointed when he couldn't", I said.
"Because it rained", I said.
"But we were happy", Olivia said.
"Because we were together", Adam said.
"We will be", Ryan said.
"When he gets fine we will go back to that site", I said.
"And will see those constellation with him", Adam said.
"I'll carry his telescope again", Ryan said in a heavy voice.
"And we will suffocate him with hugs", Olivia said.
"And the marshmallows", I reminded them.
"He is obsessed with them", Ryan said.
"And how much he loves his laptop", Adam said.
"And coding", Olivia said.
"And hacking", Ryan said.
"You know the last time we kissed, was in that cave, I wish I didn't had backed out", Olivia said.
"FYI, we didn't need to know that, but......", Ryan was interrupted by Adam
"But he will be fine, I promise", Adam said hopefully.
And then it hit me, the cave.
All of this, his behaving weird and his fainting and his cut on the chest, blacking out, everything was after we visited the cave.
Was it connected?
How?
And what should I do?
And that lady, was she connected?
Did she know something that we didn't?
And maybe she could help us.
But she wasn't there the last time.
I was in my own thought, when Adam had placed a hand on my shoulder, I looked up to see them all standing up, planing on moving inside.
He offered me his hand, and I took it.
I kept the thoughts of the cave aside and focused on the present, just for the moment.
We moved back to a room, Ryan's room, none of us wanting to sleep alone.
We got under the covers such that Ryan was on one side while Adam was next to him, Olivia was the next and then I at the one end of the bed.
It was a little tight, but it gave us the warmth that we were all looking for the whole day, and none of us complained, just savoured the warmth, and slept for the second time that night, the only difference now being, the restlessness was replaced with the warmth.
Warmth.
The second complicated word.
We all need warmth, a baby needs it from his mother.
And when we grow up, we need the warmth to assure us that everything's gonna be fine.
Warmth gives us hope.

And it was working its magic on us. Definitely.