Chapter-48

Ryan was freaking me out as he pulling me out of the hospital through the corridors of the hospital.

"Ryan, please.......... I need to know, what's the matter, damn it!", I asked him as I pulled my hand from him and we stopped mid track. He turned around to look at me with weepy eyes.

"C..... Carter... he", Ryan tried to speak but couldn't due to the emotions catching up to him.

"He what, Ryan", I asked him as I looked in his eyes giving stability to his thoughts.

"He's dead"

"Dude this isn't a time for this", I said waiting for him to turn on his jerk smile, telling me all of this was a joke, but that never happened. Instead he leaned against the wall behind him and kept his head in his hand, still weeping.

He looked at me, and I wasn't still sure if what he told me was true.

We reached Carter's in a couple of minutes only to see an ambulance and police vehicles outside the house. I wasn't sure if I was ready to face whatever waited inside the house, but I didn't had an option.

We moved inside the house, as the sheriff recognized us and went straight up.

In his room, there a rope hanging from the chandelier, and Carter's body was on the floor. On the floor next to him, was the place where Katana and his mother were sitting, crying after loosing a member of their family. And then was the moment when reality flashed in front of me. We had lost one of ours. In front of me lay a body with grey/ blue marks across the neck, face flushed of any emotions, and a lifeless body with multiple fresh cuts on the arm.

Ryan held me close to him, as we wept the lose. It wasn't until then that I had noticed Olivia who lay emotionless and lifeless on the floor next to the wall of the room. We tried picking her up, but she kept staring into nothingness, as if trying to recapture the moments she had spent with him.

His body was taken away and the sheriff had recorded everyone's statements.

All of it was too much to handle. He was with us a yesterday, and we lost him, just like that, in a moment. Why is the uncertainty of life so ruthless. Why does it hurt so much?

The throat was sore and eyes were red from all the tears we had shed.

Adam hadn't been informed of the current situation. Mrs. Johnson and Katana had been taken over to Ryan's, so that they can be taken care of.

Everyone, including the elder's were in a state of shock even when hours had passed.

Olivia was with her parents, and they knew what they weren't leaving her alone.

Ryan and I were sitting inside the car, parked outside the hospital, thinking of how to break the news to Adam.

We moved towards Adam's room and I sighed before going in, followed by Ryan.

"Adam?"

He moved his gaze from the window on his left side to us.

I looked at Ryan before continuing, "Carter.......... he is dead"

"That is not funny", Adam said.

Then he noticed the tears which were starting to form in my eyes, while Ryan turned his back to Adam and leaned on the wall with his head on his right arm.

"No no no no no no no, Lucy please don't", he said while he screamed in frustration.

The nurse came in listening to him and told us to be a little softer, while we nodded with our backs towards her.

"He hanged himself", I said in a heavy voice with hick ups in between the words.

"When?", Adam asked while he tried to remain calm, and the nerve on the left side of his fore head became visible through the skin due to the anger and frustration.

"In the morning", I said and Adam took the glass of water placed next to him and threw it on the ground towards the window.

The nurse came in again and asked us to move outside while the patient needed to rest. Little did she know what had happened.

We knew we couldn't do anything to calm him down and Mrs. Grant asked us to go home and rest while she took care of Adam, "He needs to accept, give him time", is all she said as she wiped the tear from her cheek.

Ryan and I moved towards the car while both cried silently.

"If only we had time", I said.

"You still believe in that curse thing, don't you?", Ryan asked trying to remain his calm.

I didn't say a word.

"We need to find out what he did", he said after thinking for a while.

"Where are we going?", I asked as he drove us outside the gates of the hospital.

"To find the truth", he said.

We went to Carter's house. The police had sealed the area, as they still wanted to look into the case. Since his family was at Ryan's the lights were off. Ryan and I moved through the restricted area and reached the 2nd floor. We moved inside Carter's room, unwillingly as both of us realized we hadn't accepted his death yet. We searched his room but found nothing. Ryan took Carter's laptop with him while I was still searching closet. The wooden hanger slipped from my hand and fell to the floor of the closet. The sound! It felt like it was hollow. I bend down on the floor to figure out if it could open. There was a little place between the wooden paneled floor, and inserting mu middle and index finger in it, I tried to pull the piece out. It opened to reveal a dairy there.

"Ryan, you need to see this", I told Ryan as he came towards me.

You Can't Lie Anymoreजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें