Chapter-44

When I was sure Adam was fast asleep I placed his head on a pillow and seeing Ryan sleeping next to him I went outside the room.
I picked the room opposite to his and got inside the covers seeing I still had a couple of hours before dawn. I closed my eyes and darkness took over me as I fell asleep instantly tired from the days activities.

"Lucy", Adam said, while Ryan pulled the covers from me.

"Ryan?", I screamed in anger, pulling the covers back up.

"Wake up, we need to go to school", Adam said.

"Adam, you slept we didn't", I told him opening one eyes, and Ryan sighed.

"I told you she's a hard nut to crack when it comes to waking her", Ryan said.

I was conscious to listen to them talk but I didn't wish to get up. A minute later, I shrieked as they had poured a whole bottle of refrigerated cold water on me.

"You are such an ass", I said to Ryan who had the bottle in his hand.

I wiped my face with the towel Ryan had in the other hand.
"Such a savior", I added sarcastically.

"Adam, we need to talk", I said.

"About?", he asked.

"Your nightmares, what are they about", I asked him, Ryan stood near the bed post, no saying a word.

"Why do you..... uhmmm okay we need to get ready, I'll be in my room Ryan", he said calming his nerves down and moving out of the room.

Ryan looked at me, and said, "He will tell us, give him space", and moved out of the room.

We met at lunch, and I talked to Olivia about Adam's condition, his nightmares. Carter was doing fine for now. I asked Olivia to try asking Carter of his doings. At least we could cut f one person's sins as fast as possible to avoid any damage.

Once the day was over, I came back home to find my parents back from their little work trip. After dinner, I called Katana to ask her how Carter was doing. She would check on him at night as well and she siad he was doing fine, and he wasn't acting weird. Hmmmm, sigh of relief.

The next two days went with the same pattern, school home, checking up on Carter and Adam without letting them suspect my suspicion. We would meet at lunch, and would try making the small talks when in hallways.

I came back from school on Friday to find my parents all dressed up in a formal evening gown and a tuxedo.

"What is going on here?", I asked as the two of them looked at me.

"How do we look?", my mom asked.

"Well, Mrs. Rierce you look lovely ", I said to my mom.

"And I?", my dad asked.

"You look fine as well", I said and he pouted.

"Your dress is on your bed, go shower and get ready", she said.

"For what exactly?", I asked.

"Mr. and Mrs. Grayson anniversary, darling", she said.

"Oh, okay", I said, I had forgotten it, but I don't think anyone else remembered as no one talked about it today, not even Ryan.

"Where is it?", I asked.

"Their farmhouse", my dad said.

"We don't wish to be late, so you better be quick", my mom pushed me up the stairs.

I called Ryan and placed the phone on speaker and I was searching for the stuff I needed to get ready.

"Yup?", he said picking the phone up.

"Why did you tell me?, I asked.

"There's been a lot going on lately", he said.

"Still", I stated.
"Well ultimately you would have known so what's the big deal", he said.

"Ryan"

"Listen, I need to talk to you", he said.

"hmmm"

"Not on the call"

"What is it about?", I asked.

"The lights, when we kissed", he said.

"Okay", I said softly while my heart sank. Why did he want to talk about it?

I knew it was a mistake and probably he wanted me to know that so that I don't fell awkward around him, but still he didn't nee to say anything, I know how he is, and things happen, and all was good.

I drove the car in the direction of his farmhouse. It was a 30 minute drive, as it was situated in the sub urban area of the city. We had been there quite a few times and it was absolutely breath-taking property.

I entered the lawn where the party was. I spotted Olivia, and Ryan standing next to Carter who was on the wheelchair due to the fractures. He seemed happy though. We had a few drinks and Adam came in late to join us. We decided to go inside, in the lounge where the loud music wouldn't be heard.

Adam placed Carter's wheelchair right next to where Olivia was sitting on the sectional sofa.

I helped Ryan in the kitchen to fetch drinks for us.

"Can we talk?", he said.

Shit, what is he gonna say? I nodded.

"See Lue, I know wat happened that day......."

"Was a mistake, I get it Ryan, it's fine, and don't worry I'm not at all weird or awkward about it", I said interrupting him midsentence. I looked up to see hurt in his eyes. He stood confused.

"What?", I asked him.

"Nothing, you think it was a mistake?", he asked.

Not knowing what to say, I looked at the ground.

"I....uhmm",I was about to apologise when Ryan spoke.

"You're right it was a mistake, fine", he said and picked the bottles from the slab of the kitchen and moved out of the room. Dude what was up with him? He doesn't believe in love. All he cares about is his charm. Was I missing out something here?

I came to the lounge with the remaining drinks, only to find Ryan missing.

"Where's Ryan", I asked.

"His father called him to take care of some business, so he had to go", Olivia said.

"Is he coming back?", I asked.

"Probably, where else will he go?", Carter said.

I looked at Carter and Olivia who were holding hands while sitting. Then is when I noticed the marks on Carter's arm. The cuts were multiple, one after the other on the arm, and it looked like they were intentional.

"Carter?"

"Yup"

"What's that?", I said as I moved closer to him and took his arm in my hand.

He tried removing his arm from my hand, and when I didn't let it go, he pushed me back with so much force, that I fell on the wooden table behind me, hurting my waist which hit the corner of the table, and my ankle which got twisted due to getting unbalanced.

"Carter", Olivia screamed, and came running towards me.

"Dude are you crazy?", This was Adam who was bending towards me.

"Learn to mind your own business", Carter said as he moved out of the room in his wheelchair, after covering his arm with the sleeve of his sweatshirt.

"Are you okay Lue?" Olivia asked.

"Try getting up", Adam said as he took my weight on himself while trying to make me stand on my feet. When I wasn't able to do so, they placed me on the couch behind us.

"Olivia go and see where is he?", Adam said.

"I can't", she refused.
"He's right Olivia, check up on him", I said and she moved out of the room.

"Take care of her", she said to Adam as she moved out.