chapter fifty seven

"Excuse me?" Jennie heard a voice coming from behind her, the woman that was sitting in the cafeteria are of the hospital jumping on the chair she was on. Looking over her shoulder she immediately came eye to eye with a blonde woman standing behind her, the woman having a big smile plastered on her face as her hand reached out to greet Jennie. "Hey, I'm Amanda, can I sit down?" The blonde woman asked and Jennie nodded after giving her her hand, it would be rude to not respond to a gesture even if it was just a stranger. "You're Jennie right?" Amanda asked as she made herself comfortable, taking her things out of her pocket to let them on the table in front of them, Jennie nodding while keeping her eyes on the blonde woman at all times trying to understand if she had seen her before in her life.

"My husband, Lucas, he and Lisa are in the same room for chemo and, they sent me here to keep you company" Amanda explained when she noticed the strange way that Jennie was looking at her, Jennie smiling when she heard Lisa's name. Of course, of course Lisa had befriended someone the first hour that she was there because that is exactly who she is, a very very social person when she had the need to not be alone in a space where she doesn't feel comfortable yet being yet. "Has he been recently diagnosed?" Jennie gathered up the courage to ask such a very sensitive question but it's not like they could have any other type of conversation while being in there for that particular reason. "This is actually our second time trying chemo," Amanda went on to explain, the information that she had just hit Jennie with making the woman's legs tremble a little in fear.

"Maybe this is why I'm a bit calmer, it's not that I don't care, I've just been in your shoes already" The blonde woman said and chucked a little hoping that she could make the situation lighter, maybe she could help Jennie loosen up a little since worrying would only make her feel even worse than she felt already. "I'm just, I'm worried because I love her that much," Jennie admitted and she lowered her gaze now looking down at her hands that were playing with each other so she could keep herself calm, she really didn't need much to panic all over again. "It scares me that she'll stop feeling like herself, she is scared that she'll change into someone else" Jennie went on and suddenly found herself expressing her concerns and fears to someone she just met five minutes ago, sometimes strangers care to listen to you though more than your own people do. You don't feel like you will hurt them or scare them, because they don't know you at all.

"She will, I can't tell you that she won't change because then I would be lying to you. And she'll get frustrated because she will realize that she is not who she was before starting the treatment. What you can do though is to treat her like you would normally," Amanda spoke up, sharing her experience with Jennie and informing her about things based on what she had been living while Lucas was diagnosed with lung cancer as well. "By that I don't mean do extreme things, her system won't be able to handle it since she'll get weaker. What I mean is treat her like she is a normal person, not a sick one. It's difficult I know, but I suggest you do that as much as you can," the blonde went on some more, her hand reaching out to hold Jennie's that had been resting on the wooden table for a few moments now, Jennie's eyes shooting up to meet Amanda's soon seeing the smile of sympathy painted on the woman's face.

"Thank you, a lot" Jennie smiled back, her head turning when she saw someone approach them with the corner of her eye. Her heart started beating normally again, her body feeling alive again when she saw Lisa being transferred on a wheelchair towards them, a man who Jennie could only assume was Lucas following shortly behind her. Getting up from her seat, Jennie rushed close to her, smiling at the nurse that was pushing Lisa all this way from the chemotherapy lab all the way to the cafeteria. "Hey," Jennie spoke up and lowered herself so she could look Lisa eye to eye, the woman on the wheelchair looking a bit tired but still energized enough to function. "Hi, I am not late , am I?" Lisa asked while flashing Jennie one of the brightest smiles that she could ever give her, her cheeks creating dimples, that's how hard she was smiling. "No, not at all," Jennie said and leaned closer to leave a kiss on Lisa's cheek, her hands getting a hold of the wheelchair to push it all the way to the table she had been sitting earlier.