Chapter 41.

Kurt's POV.

Only about two weeks into being Alpha and my pack is in utter chaos. My friends have left to their future jobs, my mate is busy taking care of my mother, and my Bète and third in command are doing their best to handle the pack and I'm just trying to find my dads killer.

Things could not be worse right now. I'm sitting in my office, leaning against the desk with my head in my hands.

I've also just got news from my Bète that John just went to see Amelia and when he returned he wouldn't speak a word.

My best friend is crushed. I just know he rejected her. He may thing later he made a rash decision, but he didn't.

He did what I would do in that situation. I just can't imagine being in that situation.

Gosh, I'm a horrible Alpha.

" No you're not!" Says a voice.

I jumped up and looked. It was my mother. " Mom?" I say.

" You are not a bad Alpha. " she states firmly.

" How did you..." I ask.

" Sweetie, you spoke out loud. " she walked up and grabbed my hand. She pulled me up out of the chair and over to the couch that's in the side of the room.

She looks at me. " Sweetie, why do you feel like you're a horrible Alpha?" She asks.

I sigh. I look down. " My friends are gone, my Bète and third have the pack under control without me and I can't catch my own fathers killer. I'm nothing like a real Alpha." I say.

She suddenly grabs my chin in a firm grip and jerks my head upwards towards her.

She has tears slowly streaming down her face, but her look holds anger and determination.

" You are not a bad Alpha, Kurt. You are doing your hardest to catch your fathers killer. You are helping with everything you can in the pack. You are doing an amazing job. " she says.

" How?" I ask. " I'm nothing like dad. I can't just be the perfect Alpha with the snap of a finger. "

" Exactly. " she says.

I look at her in confusion. " You are nothing like your father Kurt. Do you honestly think your father picked up being an Alpha overnight? " she asks.

I didn't answer. She pulled forward a bit more. " Answer me honey. "

" No ma'am. " I say.

" Exactly. Honey this stuff takes time. You're not going to get it overnight. He spent so many night brooding just like you were, thinking he was a horrible Alpha, but you know what he did?" She asks.

" What did he do?" I ask.

" He picked his head up and started again. He never gave up. He never let himself sit there thinking he was a failure, and if he started down that track I would knock some sense into him. " she said.

" How do I do that?" I asked.

" That's for you to figure out. You need to be the one to find the strength to carry on. Lean on Cassandra. She's good for you honey. " she says.

I smile at her. Tears start to fill my eyes. " I miss him mom. " I say.

The tears finally spilled over my cheeks. She just smiled softly and released my chin. She grabbed me and pulled me into her arms.

She was practically holding me like a child. I couldn't care less. I just need her right now.

I start to cry, no not cry, sob. The tears are just streaming down my face and I'm crying like a child. I've cried since my father died, but I made myself stop or calm down so I could be strong for others.

It's finally caught up with me and I just can't hold back now. It's like the dam just burst and there's no stopping it yet.

She's got her hand cradling my head to her and she's gently rocking me. I can hear her gently shushing me and reassuring me.

" I m-miss him mom, So Much!!" I cry.

" I know honey. I know, everything will be ok. I promise you. He made you Alpha for a reason Kurt. " she says.

She's right, I know she's right. " I miss him too Kurt. More then I ever thought I could miss anyone. " says my mother.

After that we don't say a word. The two of us just sit there holding onto each other like we were each others lifeline.

I don't know what I'd do without my mother. She's so strong, so wise. She didn't deserve to lose her mate.

After a long time we both manage to calm down. At least enough to stop crying. I feel stupid now for feeling like I was.

I know I'm just learning and I know this stuff takes time, but it's hard and stressful to be an Alpha.

To have so many people lean on you for help and guidance and you have to be the one to lead them.

It's difficult and I know I'm new to this. I just needed my mother to talk some sense into me the way she's always able to.

I finally pull back and look at her. " Thank you mom. " I say.

" Anytime honey. I will always be here for you, you can always come to me for help. Never think otherwise. " she says.

I smile at her. " Yes ma'am. " I say.

She hugs me again and I can't help the little laugh that leaves me. " I love you Kurt. You make me so proud every day. " she says.

" Thank you mom. I will always do my best. " I say.

" Good. " she says.

We just sit there enjoying each other's company. I'm finally growing tired. I've barely gotten any sleep since this all started. Cassandra has tried to get me to sleep, but I've been to stubborn.

My mom realizes this and slowly stands up. She gently leans me down onto my side on the couch.

My head on the pillow. I feel so relaxed now and sleep is starting to take me.

She covers me with the blanket. " Sleep honey. I'll be here when you wake. " she says softly.

That did the trick. I relaxed even more and in seconds I'm out like a light.

Comment and vote.

A/N. Hey guys. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. The next chapter will be in Amber's POV. Until next time :-)