33. Heartbeat

The quiet bleeping of the heart monitor was the only audible sound in the room. Repetitive, and annoying, yet relieving to hear. It stayed at a steady pace, letting you know that the boy you loved was alright. You leaned forwards, your hand caressing his face, pushing the soft hair off his forehead. He looked so peaceful, so relaxed. With his gentle eyelids shut closed and his plump lips parted slightly to allow the rhythmic intake of air.

You pulled the sheets up slightly, adjusting them so they covered his body fully. The machine continued bleeping. You had replaced the flowers in the vase on his beside table and moved the get well soon cards around so there was room for more. You had filled up his glass of water every day, just in case he woke up and was thirsty.

But he never woke up.

A whole week had gone by. A week of sitting in the small plastic chair by the side of his hospital bed, waiting for his eyes to flutter open. Waiting so hold him in your arms and tell him he is okay, and thank him for saving you.

The machine continued to bleep. Repetitive, annoying but relieving.

Every so often he would shuffle, or his finger would twitch, or he would breathe heavier. And you'd hold your breath and caress his hand. But he still wouldn't wake up.

"Miss Y/N?" The nurse asked as she walked into the room. "I brought you some herbal tea, I thought you might need it," she smiled, placing the drink down on the small table beside you. "Thank you," you whispered, not able to make eye contact. Your eyes were puffy and red, so swollen from the multiple all nighters and the constant crying. Jungkook had tried to convince you to go back to the dorms and get some sleep, but you couldn't bring yourself to leave Namjoon's side.

"Y/N?" You looked over at Namjoon, seeing his eyes fluttering open as he turned his head towards you. A smile teased his lips as he finally made eye contact with you. "Namjoon, oh my god!" You smiled, tearing up as you practically jumped on him, pulling him into a hug. "Are you okay? Are you in pain? Should I get a nurse?" You asked pulling away and looking at him in panic.

"Y/N," he smiled, his hand reaching up to cup your cheek, "kiss me." You leaned into his face, immediately pressing your lips against his, your right hand coming up to hold his cheek. His lips were so soft against yours as he moved them slowly, cocooning your lips with his. The kiss was slow and gentle, with nothing but love being conveyed through it. Namjoon played with your hair, threading his fingers through it as he sighed against your lips. You eventually pulled away, not even giving him a second to think before you spoke.

"Namjoon I love you!" You confessed, smiling emphatically. Namjoon's eyes widened for a second, processing your words, before tears started to leave his eyes. "Y/N..." he sobbed, his smile wider than any smile you'd ever seen before. "I love you so much," he whispered through his sobs, placing his forehead against yours.

"I'm sorry I went behind your back Namjoon," you smiled sadly making him nod. "It's okay, we weren't in a relationship, you were free to do what you wanted. I'm sorry for calling you hurtful names and walking out on you," he frowned, pulling away from your face to look into your eyes. "It's okay, I forgive you," you smiled, pressing a kiss to his lips once more.

"Thank you so much for saving me, you sacrificed your life for me. You don't know how much I appreciate it Namjoon," you smiled making him nod. "I know you'd do the same for me," he admitted causing you to nod in agreement. "Y/N, I want you to be my girlfr-"
"Yes, yes... yes," you giggled making him laugh along.

"Oh my goodness he is awake!" A nurse shouted, running into the room, making you and Namjoon quickly pull apart. "Sorry to interrupt but we need to run some quick check ups on you," the nurse smiled before shooing you out of the room.
You waited outside, unable to wipe the happy smile of your face.