One Year

You have to leave on a year long mission and Nat misses you. You also have powers much like Carol but yours come from the Power Stone.

Your POV

"I'm sorry you're WHAT?!" Nat yelled, suddenly panicky.

"It's only a year! Fury needs me to do this. I need to find and help Carol." I told her and she sighed as she ran a hand through her hair.

Fury had asked me to go on a mission into space in order to find Carol Danvers as her communication was broken and I was the only one with power like her and therefore the best for the job. He said it would probably take around a year but I hoped it would be less than that.

Nat and I had been a thing ever since my first day with the Avengers, but she finally wanted to make it official about a week ago. And now I was leaving. For a year.

Talk about awful timing.

"I just can't believe this is real. It's real? You really have to go for a year? To space?!" She asked exasperatedly. I frowned as I went to hug her.

"Yes. I'm so sorry. But you and I both know we need Carol on this team." I told her as I held onto her. Her face in my chest.

"No we don't we have you." She mumbled and I chuckled. "But Carols the most powerful out of us, until Vision figures his stuff out at least. Wandas strong but not as strong yet. And honestly I'm a mess half the time." I felt Natasha laugh against me.

"We still have Strange." She pouted. "But imagine if we had a person with power from each stone! That would be some team." I said excitedly as I looked into her eyes. They softened.

"You're such a dork."

"I know." I smiled before leaning in to kiss her. "I leave tomorrow morning." I said sadly and Nat just nodded.

"I'm gonna miss you." She sighed.

(...)

Natasha POV

It was early the next morning when everyone in the compound saw Y/n off. I hugged her for a long time, not quite wanting to let go. But I had too. I kissed her hard and told her she better be back soon and she smiled.

"Always. I'll always be back." She promised before hugging Peter and Tony. I smiled when Peter held back tears.

She finished saying bye to everyone else before talking to Fury briefly.

"Bring back my buddy for me. It's been too long. And don't forget that damned cat either. I'm not finished with Goose." Fury chuckled and Y/n laughed before giving a salute and boarding her ship.

I waved weakly as she smiled at me from over her shoulder before the door shut and the ship took off.

"It'll go by faster than you think." Steve told me and I smiled at him. "She'll be fine."

"I know." I said.

(...)

The year went by slower than I thought actually. I went on mission after mission, but still ended up heartbroken when I came home to an empty room.

It had been way too long. And I barely got to speak with her since the communication didn't reach far. And to make matters worse, my feelings started to change.

And I don't mean I started to not love Y/n anymore, I just started to wonder if she loved me anymore. Time and space from your loved one is the perfect chance for doubt to show up. Was she happy to be away from me? Had she started a new life somewhere? Or was she trapped? In danger? Was she dead?