Peggy (1)

Once again Steve!Reader. Taking place in winter soldier with any scene that Peggy is relevant.

You talk to old Peggy.

Your POV

"You should be proud of yourself Peggy."

I told her as I sat by her bed. I had to admit my heart ached as I watched her. Being here with her now was so surreal and painful. But at the same time comforting. After all it was weird to come back the same age and with the same mindset, and find your best friend at the end of her life. She had lived her life and I had still just begun mine. She had lived her life without me.

"Mm I have lived a life. My only regret is you didn't get to live yours." She said in a raspy tired voice. She looked beautiful still even after she took its toll on her. I could still see her younger self within her features.

I just wished I had some red lipstick to put on her lips.

We chatted for a while as I confided in her like I always had. I told her about how I thought I could just serve again and pretend it was the same but it wasn't. And it never would be. I guess I had to let that go.

"You're always so dramatic." She chuckled and I smiled at her.

"Hey." She said firmly as she held my hand. My heart warmed at the familiar feeling and the gentleness of her soft skin. "All we can do is our best. And sometimes the best we can do is start over." She told me before breaking out in a coughing fit.

I released her hand and grabbed her a water. But when I turned back to her I could tell something off. And my heart ached again as I realized she had forgotten me again. Peggy had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and forgot things often.

I fought back tears as her eyes scanned my face and recognized me again. A look of shock and total happiness washed over her face and I gave her a warm smile.

"Y/n.." she whispered and I leaned closer. "Yeah?"

She gasped and tears filled her eyes. "You're alive!" She said happily. "You came back!"

I held the pain back out of my face and forced a small smile. I held back my tears for her sake. "Yeah Peggy." I whispered. "It's been so long. So long." She cried.

"Well I couldn't leave my best friend." I told her as I took her hand again.

I let her rest after our chat. Many different things pained me that day. The biggest one that I still held my greatest secret from her. I may have been her best friend but I knew I loved her from the day we met. But like she said it had been so long, and I knew she just needed me there for her for her remaining time on earth.

AN so this scene always made me cry it was just so freaking sad. Honestly Peggy and Steve are my absolute favorite and there relationship is just so interesting. Also this is the first multi part shot I'm doing so that's exciting!