Peggy (2)

Once again Steve!Reader. Taking place in winter soldier with any scene that Peggy is relevant.

You and Natasha are on your way to Jersey to find where the flash drive comes from. You feel nostalgic as you figure out it's the camp you were trained in.

Your POV

Natasha and I drove all the way to Jersey in a car I had stolen. When she asked me how I learned to steal a car I told her Nazi Germany. It had taught me lots of things. I yelled at her for having her feet on the dash and she glared at me as she took them down. She smirked and my heart sped up at her next words.

"I have a question for you and you don't have to answer but I feel like by not answering you are still answering you know?" She said and I clicked my tongue. "What?"

"Was that your first kiss since 1945?" She asked teasingly. I scoffed. "That bad huh?" I chuckled embarrassed.

"I didn't say that!" "Well it sounds like that's what you're saying. And I don't see why you had to kiss me, we could have just been friends." I explained as I blushed and she chuckled. "Well I panicked and said we were on a honeymoon. Friends don't go on honeymoons."

"Listen I just wondered how much practice you've had." She said were a goofy smile and I cringed. "You don't need practice!" "Everyone needs practice!" We laughed. "Well I'm sorry I kissed you then." She said finally as she sighed.

I gulped. "I didn't say it was a bad thing." I said as I tapped the steering wheel and avoiding her eyes. We continued to talk about how to find someone who had things in common with me and how I could make it up like Natasha did. The woman had more fake identities than you could count on a hand.

"You know it's kinda hard to trust someone when you don't know who that someone really is." I told her and she looked at me with her bright green eyes and flaming red hair glowing in the sunlight.

"Yeah. Who do you want me to be?" She asked quietly and I sighed as I rubbed my face. I didn't know what I wanted her to be. I didn't want to say the wrong thing and change my mind. But love life was kinda what I was struggling with at the moment so I decided it was better left unknown.

"Honestly I don't know." I told her and she smiled. "Well whenever you're ready I can be there for you as whatever you want me to be."

(...)

When we finally arrived at the location my gut twisted with a weird sense of nostalgia. This was the camp I was trained in. I looked around and saw flashbacks of where I essentially grew up into who I am. I saw myself struggling again to be the soldier no one believed I could be. And I was reminded of everything that still hurt leaving behind.

"You ok?" Nat asked me after I explained this is where I had came from. She would never be able to understand how I felt in that moment, but she was still there.

"Yeah. It's bittersweet. Makes me feel weirdly both sad but content." I explained as I shoved my hands in my pockets. She smiled. "I didn't count you as the nostalgia type."

I chuckled. "Really? I'm 95 all I know is the past."

We continued around until I noticed something was off. A whole building was in the wrong place. I smashed the lock as we decided to check it out. It was an old SHIELD office, most likely where it had started.

We looked around for a while longer until I opened a door into a main office with a big desk and bookshelves. And pictures on the wall.

"There's Starks father." Natasha said and I smiled as I remembered that bastard. "Howard."

"Who's the girl?" She asked. "Shes beautiful."

"I know." I said quietly. My heart clenched at the sight of Peggy, still young and proud and full of life. I clenched my jaw before turning to move on, not telling Nat who she was. Nat looked confused at my reaction but shook it off.

I used my strength and Nat used her tech to find and start up the elevator. We descended deeper. The door opened to a completely dark room. I gulped and looked at Nat quick. I held my shield tighter.

"What? Do you want me to hold your hand or something?" She asked teasingly and I smiled. "Maybe. This is fucking creepy."

"This can't be it. This technology is ancient." Nat scoffed as the lights came on and we looked at the old computers.

She plugged in the flash drive and initiated the system. "Shall we play a game?" She chuckled and explained the joke. I smiled but didn't laugh and she pouted slightly before brushing it off. Being there just made me feel tense. It was rubbing salt in my wounds.

The computer screen lit up with a face. A distorted voice came through as the camera pointed at me.

"Rogers, Y/n. Born 1918." It said and I furrowed my brow. The camera panned to Natasha. "Romanoff, Natalia Alianovna. Born 1984." I scoffed.

"What?" She glared at me. "Why is your name so- Russian?" I asked and she rolled her eyes. "Because believe or not I'm Russian."  She said sassily with a smile. "Cute middle name. Really rolls off
the tongue." I joked and she shoved me as she blushed lightly.

"This thing must be some recording." She said as she turned her attention back to it. "I am not a recording Fraeulien." It spoke and I noted it was German.

I recognized it as Zola. He explained how we were in his brain. We both stood shell shocked as he explained Hydra never died and had been growing in SHIELD. Everything we knew was a lie? We were in complete shock. I got frustrated and punched the screen. He just switched over and Natasha put a hand on my shoulder.

It felt like a sucker punch to my gut when he explained the Winter Soldier was used to change history and kill many good people like Starks parents who had knew too much. The color in Nats face drained as it showed Fury too.

He explained that there was an algorithm on the drive that Hydra would use to finally complete its plan and take over.

"I'm afraid I've been stalling Captain."

Natasha and I looked at each other in panic as she grabbed the drive and looked for a way out when she realized SHIELD had launched a ballistic at the secret office we were in.

I lifted a grate and threw the top to the side. I turned to Nat. "We are both of us. Out of time."

I grabbed Nat and jumped in the small hole, my shield over us as we held each other close. I struggled to hold up the shield as the explosion hit and debris precipitated onto us.

Once it settled I dug us out and quickly picked up Nat who had been knocked out. I ran us out of there before the search crew arrived. I settled her into the car and sped off into the night escaping the search crew.

She woke up with a serious head ache and very sore a little while after. She groaned as she looked around. I explained what happened and she sighed as she rubbed her face. We sat in silence for a few minutes as we processed what we learned.

She looked around the car and noticed my locket. She smiled as she opened in and a look of recognition crossed her face as she realized it was Peggy.

"This is the girl from the picture!" She said proudly. "I knew you knew her."

"Her names Peggy." I said fondly. A weak smile lit up my face. "She was the best friend I ever had. Really my only one. She was the only one who truly believed in me." I explained and Nat nodded as she listened intently.

"That's so sweet." She said as she reached for my hand and stroked my knuckles with her thumb. Why did that give me butterflies?

"But you're a little dramatic." She joked with a kind smile. I looked at her and my face softened.

My heart fluttered. That's was Peggy always said. Peggy always called me dramatic. I gave her hand a squeeze before driving us to my only other friends house. Sam's.

AN this one is a little longer and has less to do about Peggy but I'm still enjoying writing with the plot of this movie because I just love it so much. :)

I'll probably make a part three tomorrow and it'll most likely be Peggys funeral so grab your tissues.