Sterile

You complain about periods and you find out something new about Nat.

Your POV

"Nat? Do you have any extra tampons?" I called to her as we loaded the Quinjet for our next duo mission across the globe. Figures my period had started right before we left.

And I couldn't find the rest of my stash in my bag. Nat looked down as she finished putting away her stuff. "No I don't use them." She said quietly and I furrowed my brow.

"That's fine. Do you have anything?" I asked her as I followed her up to the pilots chairs. She took a seat and shook her head. Now I was confused.

"Well I guess I can just go get some more later." I said as I sat down and turned the key. I noticed Nat didn't answer me back and was sat in silence for a while. I cleared my throat as I looked at her. She looked lost in thought. Somewhere far away.

"Hey?" I whispered and she looked at me. "What's up?" I asked and she just shrugged. "Come on. I can tell somethings wrong." I said softly as I placed a hand on her leg.

She sighed. "It's just I don't get my period anymore." She said as she looked away. I sat there confused. "I mean you aren't missing much. But why not? Is there something wrong?" I asked. Maybe this was a sign that something inside wasn't working right.

She sat there stone faced as she chewed in her bottom lip. "No. It's just, I got this surgery. When I was in training, the Red Room had this graduation ceremony where they," she looked away and sucked in a breath.

I turned the key off and turned to look at her. "Babe it's ok. Just take your time." I told her and she smiled at me weakly. I knew talking about her past made her upset easily. She was traumatized by it.

"They sterilized me. It was like a final step in the dehumanization. It just made everything easier. One less thing to worry about." She explained as she crossed her arms protectively over her chest.

I turned away as my blood boiled. "So that means you can't-" I didn't get to finish before she cut me off. "Yes." She said coldly. "Like I said makes everything easier."

I gripped the steering wheel tightly as I processed what she said. I mean we were a long way from having kids, if we every even wanted them. But knowing they took that option away from her, made me angry. "I'm sorry." I said softly and she just shrugged. "It's fine." She said and I turned to her again.

"It's not fine. It isn't right that they took that choice away from you. And I've always been so insensitive." I snapped and her eyes widened. "Hey, it's not your fault ok? It's in the past and it's ok. You couldn't have known." She said as she placed her hands on my arm. I relaxed my muscles.

"I'm sorry I snapped at you." I said as I put my head in my hands. "Thank you for telling me." I said as I looked back at her. She smiled at me weakly and nodded.

"You know, sometimes I think it is a good thing. One less thing I have to deal with. Plus, I couldn't imagine if we were both like this at the same time." She said chuckling to herself. I frowned.

"Like what?" I asked and just giggled. "Like some moody mess." She said and I gasped as I pushed her shoulder. She laughed as I shoved her, her legs trying to push me off.

"I'm not moody!" I yelled as she continued to laugh. We eventually calmed down with me on her lap. She smiled at me before I pulled her into a hug.

"Ok fine. But are you feeling alright? Any cramping or discomfort?" She asked and I chuckled. "No I feel perfect."

And I did in that moment, wrapped up in her arms. And glad I knew more about her.

AN this is hella short and kinda meh. I just wanted to use the idea of Nat being sterilized but idk if I liked how I wrote it out. Lemme know what you guys think