Peggy (3)

Peggy passes away and you attend her funeral. Natasha is there to comfort you, much to your surprise.

Your POV
I was tired of this conversation. Tired of the arguing. Tired of Tony trying to tell us what was best for us. My heart had broke when Natasha took Tony's side. He said he wanted to be safe, but I didn't want to surrender what we had. The government would contain us when we needed to be on the front lines all the time.

"Focus up. I'm sorry did I just mishear you? Or did you agree with me?" Tony asked Nat and Nat smiled holding back a laugh. "Oh I wanna take it back now."

"No no no you can't retract it. Thank you."

I rolled my eyes and looked down as my phone buzzed.

"She's gone. Passed in her sleep." The words felt like I dagger had been stabbed into my heart. Suddenly everything came crashing down.

"I have to go." I managed to choke out before stumbling out of my chair and out of the room hurriedly.

She couldn't be gone. I knew this day would come. But I couldn't move on. I just couldn't.

"Rogers! Look we can work this out." Tony called. "What's up with her?" Tony asked turning back to the group. "I don't know. But she wouldn't storm out like that." Nat said concerned.

I made it to the bottom of the stairs before I collapsed onto the bottom step, head in my hands. I sat and just let everything out. I couldn't even think.

(...)

The next few days went by in a blur as Sam and I headed to London for the funeral. I carried Peggy down the aisle. Not the aisle I had always wished she would go down. But an aisle none the less.

I stood numbly after placing it down, the others that had helped carry it took their seats and Sam had to drag me to mine. I cried the entire time, until the tears stopped coming and I sat almost like a statue as relatives came and said their blessings.

Sharon went to speak and I found out she was Peggys niece. She said a very compelling and put together speech. It honestly was inspiring and made me feel a little better. It reminded me of how amazing and stubborn Peggy was. And how that attitude of going against the grain let her to become such a successful woman. And I kept that in mind for the next argument with the Avengers.

(...)

After the service I stood alone by her casket and stared at it. A weak smile on my face.

"Hey Peg. I wish we could have had more time together. Our whole lives actually. But something tells me this was meant to happen. And one day I promise you'll finally get to teach me how to dance. Someday I'll finally be with you. There's so much I never told you and but I think it's better that way, because your niece, she's brilliant by the way, reminded of the person you were. And I know that we were meant to be best friends. Because that's what brought the best out of us."

I whispered as I ran my hand over the wood. I sighed as I picked up the picture of her and ran my finger along the outline of her face and jawline. One day I'd see her again.

I heard footsteps and jumped as I placed the picture back down and turned to see none other than Natasha. I held back a groan. I was still upset with her for siding with Stark.

She stood by me and looked at me expecting me to say something. I sighed.

"When I came out of the ice, I thought everyone I knew was gone. But I was lucky to have her." Nat smiled. "She was lucky to have you."

"Who else signed?" I asked and she listed off the names. Mostly everyone. Stark, Rhodey, Vision with Wanda TBD and Clint retired.

"I'm off to Vienna for the signing. There's plenty of room on the jet." She said hopefully and I turned away.

I sighed again as I rubbed my eyes. "You know Sharon was Peggy's niece? She said something today and it really stuck with me. She reminded me of the kind of person Peggy was. I have to do what Peggy had done her whole life, I have to fight. I'm sorry Nat."

Natasha smiled at me as she sighed. "I know. You really cared about her huh?" She asked softly and I took a deep breath. I paused for a while before finally getting it off my chest. Something I had held with me for my whole life.

"I think I loved her." I began and Nat tensed.

"But it wasn't meant to be that way. And it's better what we had." I said quietly as I looked away. Nats eyes widened as I confessed to her.

Now one thing Nat and I shared in common was shitty consoling skills. But she found a way.

"If you knew my mind was made up then what are you doing here?" I asked her as I turned back to face her. She smiled as she took a breath.

"I didn't want you to be alone." She said softly and my stomach flipped as I was overcome by realization. She didn't care about the signing, she cared about me.

"Come here." She whispered as I leaned in to hug her. She held me tight our bodies flush as I cried into her shoulder for a while. It had been a long and emotional day and this just topped it off. I don't know what came over me but I lost it.

And my heart swelled at the way Nat rubbed my back and whispered sweet nothings into my ear. She ran her fingers through my hair and when I finally pulled away, she wiped the tears off my face.

"You ready?" She asked quietly and I nodded. It was time to move on and finally live my life. Peggy had done it so I could too. One day though I'd see her again.

Natasha nodded back and smiled. She stared at me a moment, a decision in her eyes before she made up her mind and leaned in to kiss my cheek. I blushed as she pulled back and smiled at me. She grabbed my hand and pulled me along.

"Come on let's go get a burger or something."

AN if someone says this scene in the movie didn't make them cry then they're freaking lying man this one gets me every time. Anyway I hope you liked this. I felt like the best way to set up the plot is have the reader be in love with Peggy but never tell her because Peggy wouldn't love her back and once Peggy is gone the reader just appreciates the time they had had together before starting to move on. And conveniently Nat is there for the reader to move on to. :)

Once again I was like hmm could this be a book? It was one of my ideas for a book honestly but I'm still on the fence. Maybe I'll take one of these ideas and make a book but I think this concludes the little Peggy series. Vote and comment if you enjoyed!