37 - Empty

Author's;
Jungkook walked home that day because he simply wanted time alone to organize his thoughts and feelings. He had his backpack hanging on one shoulder and earbuds on, perfectly messy hair bouncing with every relaxed step he took. He left school a little later than usual because he had to help a teacher with something.

As he got closer to his house, he noticed a familiar silhouette in the distance, kneeled down with her head buried in her knees.

Is that..

Jungkook's eyes grew slightly wider and his heart beat accelerated. His heart and his brain duelled each other in an internal battle. His brain said, Don't you dare run to her. You need to get over her. While his heart cried, Your best friend needs you. Will you really ignore this?

Jungkook's feet wouldn't move from his spot on the sidewalk. He grimaced at the harsh decision making before sighing and running towards you.

"Areum," He called your name gently, standing behind your shaking body.

Jungkook noticed that you were startled by his voice when you sniffled and wiped your hidden face, trying hard to contain the trembling. You stood up, back facing Jungkook.

"Kook," you breathed.

He grasped your wrist and turned you around, revealing red puffy eyes, quivering lips and wet cheeks. His heart cracked. "W-whats wrong?" He asked, holding your two shoulders with concern.

You didn't say anything. Instead, you bit your bottom lip to restrain the sobs, looking down at the ground. Jungkook's eyes carefully watched your facial expression before he gave in, ignoring all of his brain's warnings. He pulled you toward him and wrapped his arms around you.

"Areum, did my mom.." Jungkook began to ask, almost not wanting to hear an answer.

You nodded, wetting his black T shirt with salty tears.

He closed his eyes and let out a heavy breath, caressing the back of your head. "I'm sorry," He breathed.

I told Mom to wait a while longer, why did she do this?

Then again, I guess the bandaid needed to ripped off eventually...

»»————- ♡ ————-««

Yours;
That day that was full of tears and heartbreak, was the day that the emotional distance between Jungkook and I finally dissolved. I missed being comforted by my best friend when I needed him. Now that I think of it, it must've been hard for him.

That day was also the day that we would move out of the Jeons'. Our new house wasn't nearly as extravagant as our old one or the Jeons' house. No unnecessary maids and emptiness. The new house was cozy. It felt like a home.

"Areum, I'm starting to worry. Are you sure you're fine?" Dad asked, with curious and concerned eyes.

I nodded blankly.

"You don't like the house?" He questioned, a hint of disappointment rang in his voice.

"No, dad I love the house. I'm fine." I put a hand on his arm and forced a side smile.

He didn't buy it but he smiled back. "How about we go get some ice cream from that place you like so much after we finish unpacking for the day?"

"Sorry dad, I kind of just want to be alone today." I apologetically said.

His smile shrunk just slightly. "It's okay honey." It was evident that he was just as worried as mom was.

It took all I had in me to not cry in front of everyone.