chapter 5

As soon as Ariel uttered the phrase ‘Soulmate’, Grey's whole physique went numb. He could not understand what was happening. He stared straight at Ariel and felt his heart racing fast. He wasted no time in rolling off of her. Quickly.

His eyes widened in shock. He took a deep breath and looked at Ariel again. He was right away hit by a series of emotions.

"No, no, no, this can not be happening," Grey said breathlessly as he paced around. "What did you do to me?" Grey glared at Ariel, however he could not bring himself to hold it for long. He cursed softly as he crossed his arms, waiting for her response.

Ariel, who was on the floor looking shocked, stood up immediately as she heard Grey's question. 

"What do you mean by that stupid question?" Ariel asked, getting slightly aggravated being in the presence of a demon. "I'm the one who is supposed to ask you that question," Ariel raised her voice. She was getting genuinely angry. "You demons are foxy creatures and you can do something evil," she added.

Grey shook his head at her. He was not fazed by her sudden outburst. He had a lot of things running through his mind.

After a few minutes of stretched silence between them, Ariel unexpectedly spoke up, shaking her head, "I do not understand this. We did not even make the skin to skin contact. How come we can feel the bond?" 

Grey frowned at her words. ‘What did she mean by skin to skin contact?’ he questioned himself.

Grey did not understand anything about the soulmate bond. He never paid attention to his mother whenever she used to speak about the soulmate bond.

‘I thought it was not vital to have a soulmate and now I don't understand what this Little Angel is talking about,’ Grey grumbled to himself.

“What does she mean by skin to skin contact?" Grey muttered to himself angrily. “I wished I had listened to my Mom,” he added.

"What do you mean by skin to skin contact?" Grey asked aloud, swallowing his pride. He needed to know.

Ariel snapped her head to look at Grey as if he just asked a question. He was supposed to be aware of the answer too.

"Why are you asking me as if you don't know?" Ariel asked.

Grey looked angry. "If I knew, I would not have asked," he snapped. 

Ariel looked at him and she could tell he was telling the truth about not knowing what she meant by skin to skin contact. She did not know how she was aware of that, however, she simply did. 

Ariel took a deep breath before she spoke up, "Soulmates need to make skin to skin contact with each other to feel the bond they share. They will have to make contact for about 30 seconds.” 

Grey listened to Ariel attentively. He loved the sound of her voice. It sounded like a song to his ears. He quickly cleared his throat when he realized he was falling prey to his emotions.

"We simply make sure that we never make skin to skin contact," Grey mumbled. He refused to look at Ariel again because each time he did, he constantly found himself staring at her.

"I do not know why this is even happening?” Ariel whispered “I always wanted a soulmate but not a demon soulmate," she added, getting stressed about what was happening to her. 

Grey looked at her, listening to the distress in her voice. He had the urge to comfort her. He did not like the way she was stressed. He quickly shook off the notion and moved backwards a little, leaving more space between them before he gave in to his urges.