Chapter 2: About Chongqing

902 words, 4 minutes

Chongqing itself was located in southwestern China and was known as one of China's 4 "furnaces" due to its hot weather. Temperatures could nearly reach 40°C during the summer, making it hard to focus.

But despite all that, it was a wonderful tourist destination as well as a beautiful place to live in despite its high standards in education. It's a blend of modern and ancient Chinese culture.

This was where Akane's parents wanted her to live.

And this was where she was going to start her new life.

~

September 3rd and she was back here.

Akane stepped inside the university, in awe once more by its pristine interior. She couldn't wait to walk past the many departments the university consisted of. She was eager to visit the humongous library again. She looked forward to eat lunch in one of the 6 large and spacious canteens. She couldn't wait to walk past the many facilities like the dormitory, hospital, post office, convenience stores, banks, bookstores, laundry rooms, photo development shops, gyms and theater. Extracurricular activities were also worth excitement.

Not because she wanted to join one but because her friends, Chen Guo and Tang Rou, were a part of them. Specifically the Chinese Proficiency Contest and the Welcome Party/Graduation Party for International Students.

That was how she had met them both last year.

And she had no doubt they were gonna be there for her graduation, too.

The 2 girls were best friends before meeting Akane, and now she was a part of their group. Chen Guo was a 22-year-old woman with fair skin and long brown hair tied in a ponytail. She was in the Material Chemistry and Bioengineering programs and was a very sociable person.

Tang Rou's pink-brown hair was short compared to Chen Guo's, sitting above her shoulders. It complimented her light skin tone and calm 20-year-old face. She was enrolled in the Business Administration and Music Performance programs. The latter was something she and Akane had in common since they both loved playing music. Their class would perform a class piece at some point during the year and they couldn't wait to practice together.

Akane had to work harder though since she didn't live in China her whole life like they did, and what she learned from her parents in Japan didn't compare to actually living in the country itself. But Chen Guo and Tang Rou never hesitated to help her when she really needed it with learning Mandarin Chinese despite them being busy with their own programs.

Plus, they weren't part-time students like Akane. They studied at Chongqing University full-time and were also supported by their parents. Tang Rou's father owned Tang Corporation Limited and her family was very wealthy as a result, and Chen Guo's parents ran an Internet café that received plenty of customers during both the morning and evening. However, Chen Guo dreamed of taking over the Internet café since she lamented anything related to science. It was too unfortunate that her parents wished her to enroll into the programs and she was now stuck paying the tuition fee because she was graduating this year anyway.

Akane promised she'd visit when she wasn't super busy.

~

The first day back and she already had material to review from 2 of her programs. Great.

And Akane was thinking about simply riding her motorcycle close to the Jialing River for the afternoon before returning to her apartment in the Hualong Bridge Residential District.

Yes, she rode a motorcycle because that was allowed in Chongqing, and she may have driven near the river during the summer, but each time she did it, her breath was stolen.

And then when 20 minutes passed and she arrived at her humble apartment, that feeling took a while to disappear.

But she had homework now and needed to stay motivated this year.

Akane had parked her motorcycle in the parking lot of her apartment and entered her suite on the 8th floor, oddly energized despite not having had consumed coffee.

It's always the same shift 4 days a week. 8AM-4PM, with 2 hours for lunch in between, she thought to herself as she slid her backpack off her shoulders.

She locked the wooden door to her suite and placed her bag on the welcome mat, took off her shoes and put them on the shoe rack, and walked into the bathroom on the right to splash water on her face, the white marble floor feeling cool against her feet.

When she stepped out, the wooden floorboards that covered the rest of her apartment felt just as cool despite it still being summer.

She got greeted with a view of her living room when she returned home from her internship or university. As she walks a little further in, to the left is a little hallway with her closet of cleaning supplies and her bedroom on opposite ends. But past that is her small living room. There are 2 blue-grey couches whose ends met at the corner of the wall, and up ahead was a large window covered by blue curtains. There was a glass coffee table and a soft carpet underneath, and to the right was the kitchen and dining table. A piano was close to the couches.

Akane set out to do her usual routine before sleeping, now already feeling some fatigue despite it being the first day.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

When you do a little research and feel 1 000% smarter. XP

Hey, guys! Sorry once again for this boring introduction, I promise the next chapter is gonna be a little more interesting.

—Kaio