Chapter 21: Slick Invitation

967 words, 4 minutes

It was on a Friday that Akane realized something again.

For one, she wasn't in the mood to study.

And secondly, she noticed her text conversation with Josaku was empty. He hadn't been able to text her because she never provided her number.

Akane flopped on her bed and hit her face against the pillow after dropping her bag on her bedroom floor. How could she be so ignorant?

Well, she might as well not waste time. She wasn't going to study right now, so Akane typed the first text and sent it.

"Hey Josaku, sorry for taking so long to text you. I forgot because of all the homework I kept on getting."

At first, she waited a few minutes for him to text back. Then that time stretched for 10 minutes. She had to change positions on her bed by lying down on her back after 24 minutes.

I could be doing something much more useful with my time,  she thought.

But it was then that her productivity would have to be put on hold because her phone dinged.

She instantly grabbed it and turned it on.

It was a notification with an email from Jiàoshòu Yue.

Akane pursed her lips and stayed still for a moment, silently seething.

That was what she got excited for.

But since Josaku didn't reply yet, Akane decided to give the email a quick read. Her eyes slowly widened towards the end.

They now had a set date and time for their performance.

It was on Friday November 8th, at 7PM sharp.

They were going to do a daily after-school rehearsal as a group next week since they had all that time before to practice alone. With their combined expertise being conducted by Jiàoshòu Yue, they were going to perform like an orchestra.

She checked the date today. It was Friday November 1st, so a week from now, she was going to perform.

The thought made Akane a little anxious.

She's played the piano since she was a kid. Her parents made her take piano lessons she later grew to hate. Her comfort level in playing the piano only grew when she got into university and played in her Music Performance program.

But the thought of performing for an entire crowd made her a little queasy. The fact that she had a solo didn't help much.