Chapter 30: Mothers

811 words, 4 minutes

This week, Akane decided she was going to get back on track in terms of her assignments now that her brain got the rest it needed, courtesy of the acupressure slippers.

She wanted to talk to her professors in Chinese Literature and International Trade to see if it was possible to redo them, so Akane set out early to try and find them before class started and discuss her situation now that her heart felt a little lighter.

But on Monday April 6th, the day she decided to take matters into her own hands, Josaku texted her 28 minutes before class started at 8AM.

"Hey, I just arrived and I see you at the entrance. Do you have a minute?"

~

Akane supposed she wasn't 100% ready to take on several assignments because her attention was a little scattered. After reading the text, she turned around and saw Josaku sitting on his motorcycle, giving her the sport bike wave he couldn't give for a while.

She pressed her fingertips to her lips and stuffed her phone in her jeans' back pocket before heading down the entrance's steps and running to him.

By the time she closed the distance, he held his arms out so she can hug him tightly, still sitting on his motorcycle.

Akane sniffled, and he finally stood up to hold her head against his chest. "Darling, I missed you," he muttered, and those words held so much meaning because they haven't talked, embraced or even kissed for a while.

"I'm sorry," she managed, worried about staining his T-shirt with her tears.

"No, I'm sorry for your loss."

They didn't stop hugging in the parking lot. Akane held his back with strength he didn't know she had. "You're not mad at me?" she asked in a wobbly voice.

"You lost your mother a few months ago, why should I be mad at you for grieving?"

She couldn't argue with that logic. She supposed a part of her felt relieved as she relaxed further.

Josaku gently stroked her head, his touch as careful as somebody holding a wilting rose. "Hey... remember when you asked me about my mother the first time you came to my house?"

Akane didn't say anything. She just nodded against his chest.

Josaku took this as a cue to continue. "I didn't tell you the full story then because remembering it made me upset, but... I want you to know that I understand, and you shouldn't feel guilty for mourning."

What was he about to tell her? Akane remained silent as Josaku took a deep breath, his hold around her loosening.

"My parents actually divorced when I was 8."

The sentence stilled her.

Josaku continued. "I remember hearing them screaming at each other from my room since I was around 5. They argued a lot about stuff I never understood at the time. Whenever I asked my dad if they'll stop fighting, he always told me not to worry and that everything will be fine.

"Basically, my mom complained that he 'wasn't committed enough'. He works in construction, and he always told me when I was a kid that it takes a long time to construct a building.

"I'm not sure why my mom didn't understand this. Instead, she went on and filed for divorce 3 years later. When she came home, I asked her what the papers were for, and she didn't have any remorse when she told me to mind my own business.

"She's been saving up for her own place behind his back because she was so fed up with him, and she slammed the door when leaving. I was so overwhelmed and miserable after that."

Josaku not only continued talking but he continued holding Akane close to him. All she could wonder was why he wouldn't face her while telling her about something that wasn't even his fault.

"I thought she'd stay forever. I know it's not like death, but... I get it. I'm sure your friends do, too."

Akane sniffled once more and backed up to wipe her eyes. She felt a little calmer, as well as a little touched that Josaku shared something so personal with her.

They really were quite similar; they rode motorcycles, they were of Japanese descent... and now neither of them had a motherly figure present in their lives.

In a way, it was like Akane was being comforted by this realization that she wasn't alone in this via Josaku's story.

"Thanks for that," she whispered softly. "I'm sorry you don't see your mom anymore."

Josaku had his hands in his pockets and gave her a gentle smile. "No problem, darling. Just don't believe it's impossible to get over stuff like this."

After giving him a demure kiss on the cheek, Akane felt a little better as she finally headed inside to find her professors.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

Having a shoulder to lean on sounds like the best feeling in the world. Especially a shoulder that won't think you're being too emotional when you're actually not.

Please vote and comment, guys! Whenever I see them in my notifications, I get super happy because it shows you guys like what I'm making!

—Kaio