Epilogue 3: Homely Banter

767 words, 4 minutes

They collectively decided to invite Chen Guo and Tang Rou over on Friday July 16th, the last day of school and the start of summer vacation for Tang Rou and Akane, the former lady having had graduated.

This day was strategically selected since they all just so happened to be free, and the married couple agreed it would be a crime to let the opportunity pass.

His father took today off and left the organizing and planning to another construction supervisor who was also his best friend of 28 years. Before he returned the next day for a progress check-up, he insisted he'd like to meet Josaku's "lady friends" since he didn't know them as well as Josaku's male friends.

He loved guests, true to what Josaku told Akane the first time he invited her over.

Akane made a mental note to invite them to her father's house in Nagoya some time in the future when they could all hang out again.

~

"So what's it like being married to my friend?" Chen Guo asked Josaku with a smirk, resting her elbow on top of the sofa. Tang Rou sat next to her, back straight and posture proper.

"Why don't you ask her instead of me?" he retorted, gesturing to Akane sitting next to him before taking a sip of the hojicha  tea she brewed.

"Akane?"

"Why do you ask, Guo Guo? Is it because you're now the only one without a love interest?" shot back Akane, and Josaku nearly spat out his tea when his balance on the armrest tipped from doubling over. He thankfully remembered his father was sitting across and would be very displeased if he messed up the sofa he and Akane sat on in front of his guests.

"OK—" started Chen Guo. "Listen, I've been busy, so I had no time to think about something like that. Besides, I barely teased you guys!" She gestured to Akane and Josaku. "Right, Xiao Tang?" she added quietly, turning to Tang Rou.

"But she does make a point, Guo Guo. You're currently loveless."

Chen Guo deadpanned. "Xiao Tang, come on."

"I'm sorry, it's true."

"Don't worry, Chen Guo, I'm sure you'll find someone," chimed in Josaku. "Maybe a cute guy will come to your café or something."

There were agreeing reactions. Akane gave Chen Guo a knowing smile before leaning against Josaku's leg. "Yeah, Guo Guo, while you're working so hard, your efforts will be rewarded in the form of a cute guy visiting your café everyday just to chat with you."

The brunette took a deep breath, flushed by the idea. "First of all—"

"Wait, imagine if it's another one of my friends," cut in Josaku. Tang Rou and Akane widened their eyes.

"Now that you mention it, Du Ming seems to be hitting it off well with Tang Rou," commented Akane, shifting her gaze to the short-haired woman. "Right? Xiao Tang?"  she cooed teasingly.

"Hey, only I get to call her that!" exclaimed Chen Guo. The nickname translated to "Little Tang", and Akane wasn't old enough to call Tang Rou that. In fact, she was the youngest in the group, so it didn't make sense.

A moment later while everyone conversed, Chen Guo made eye contact with Josaku, who lifted his empty teacup before getting up. She nodded and smiled, jutting her head towards Akane's and giving a discreet, inaudible air kiss. He nodded once in response before heading to the kitchen to put his teacup in the sink.

She even heard the water run and him drinking a glass of water, hiding her smile. Smart man,  she thought to herself. Washing down the tea from your mouth...

"My, my, youth are hilarious," mentioned Josaku's father. "You still bicker all the way into adulthood?"

"Yes," they all answered at the same time.

He gave a hearty laugh.

"Darling," Josaku called from the kitchen, and Akane turned to see him walking across the living room, jerking his head once towards the hallway. "Come."

Tang Rou and Chen Guo failed at suppressing uncontrollable smiles when Akane got up. "Wait, Akane, wouldn't you like more of the tea you made?" asked Tang Rou, the question earning her a light elbow to her arm by Chen Guo.

"Let them. They can't get enough of each other," said Josaku's father.

"Bà!" Josaku shouted embarrassingly, quickly taking Akane's hand and dragging her down the hallway to the bedroom.

"See what I mean?" he heard his father brag.

"Oh, absolutely," assured Chen Guo, winking at Josaku. He responded by jokingly rolling his eyes at her before disappearing with his wife.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

One more to go! I don't usually read epilogues of stories so if you got bored with all the summarization, I get it. XD

Also, I now have this headcanon in my fic where Josaku and Chen Guo have this telepathy thing going on; they see each other from across the room and know exactly what to do in order to get him and Akane to be alone together.

—Kaio