Chapter 38: Wanted Pianist

821 words, 4 minutes

Some research indicated to her that in order to transfer her credits from a university located overseas, Akane should consider catching up on her remaining coursework during the summer.

Today was only Wednesday April 22nd, so she had a lot of time until then. She went to her phone's calendar and marked Wednesday July 1st as the day she starts gathering more information on transferring her credits from Chongqing University.

It also ensured she'd apply on time.

In the meantime, Akane had around 1 month to chill. She wasn't in a rush.

~

At 5:05PM, while she was relaxing in her room, Akane's phone rang.

She picked it up and was surprised to see Chen Guo's phone number in the caller ID. Akane immediately answered. "Guo Guo?"

"Hi, Akane!" she said cheerily. "Hello," came the calm voice of Tang Rou. "You're both together?" asked Akane.

"Yeah, school ended like 5 minutes ago, and we decided to give you a call before heading home," informed Chen Guo. Right, Akane remembered they were an hour behind her, so it was 4:05PM for them. "Are you doing OK?"

"I'm great, thanks for asking," replied Akane, happy she got to hear from her friends. However, the silence that ensued afterwards seemed a tad uneasy.

Tang Rou broke it by speaking carefully. "Listen... about Josaku—"

"He told me."

The 2 women on the other end were surprised. "He did?" clarified Chen Guo.

"Yeah," answered Akane, now remembering what he told her over the phone. About how he was assaulted by his ex-girlfriend, Ting Ting. She bit her lip in regret, still sorry he went through that. "We made up... and I made a promise to him that I won't leave him like that again."

Knowing her Chinese friends so well, Akane could tell they were smiling. "We're so glad to hear that," said Tang Rou.

"Absolutely," added Chen Guo. "You guys are cute together."

They all laughed knowingly at that comment.

After a moment, Chen Guo spoke up again. "Listen, we know you're taking time off by relaxing at home, and we're so sorry for asking you on such short notice, but... could you do us a favor?"

That peeked Akane's interest. "What favor?"

Chen Guo stared at Tang Rou and held the phone closer to her mouth. "We rented a venue for a dear friend and plan on setting it up like a birthday party with food and entertainment. Only, we're missing the entertainment..."

Akane didn't follow. "What do you mean?"

"We were basically wondering if you'd do us a huge favor by flying to Chongqing and playing something on the piano for our friend's birthday since you're incredibly talented."

Akane didn't know Tang Rou's and Chen Guo's other friends very well, so she wasn't sure. "Uh..."

Tang Rou took her uncertainty as an opportunity to list her accommodations. "You'll only need to be in Chongqing for 2 days; the 29th and the 30th. You can stay over at my house in the meantime. I'd play, but..." She shrugged, even though Akane couldn't see. "...I'm busy helping with the planning. And I have my classes to worry about on top of that."

"Wow, guys, I..." Akane was moved. Since returning to Nagoya, she hadn't laid a finger on the piano. Her money had been successfully transferred to her father's bank account, and she'd made a separate one to transfer it all there.

She had more than enough for a plane ticket.

A smile adorned her face. Music was her side passion. She lived for the praise and uplifted sensations she got from standing ovations.

Her attention went back to her friends, who were expectantly awaiting her answer.

"What song do you want me to play?"

~

"Oto-san!"  she called cheerily after she hung up the phone.

"Yes, Akane?" He noticed she seemed more excited, and that made him delighted. Whenever his daughter was happy, he was happy.

"My 2 friends in China want me to play a piece on the piano for their friend's birthday. Can I go?"

He chuckled warmly. "You're a grownup woman, Akane, you don't have to ask me such things."

"Alright." Akane headed towards the piano in the living room.

"Akane?"

She stopped just in front of it. "Yes?"

He flashed a heartwarming smile full of admiration and great respect for his only daughter. "I love you very much."

Those meaningful words made her feel lighter, as they came from the only blood relative she had left. Although her mother wasn't present with them anymore, repeated messages of love and adoration gave her the courage to move on in life.

"I love you, too, Oto-san," she answered, finally sitting down and playing the first few notes slowly but precisely.

Her father was looking over blueprints on the coffee table in front of the sofa he sat on, but his work was made easier as he listened to his gifted daughter play.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

Wrapping up, folks! Chapters are finally getting shorter and I'm relieved I can take a break from typing so much.

Yes, my idea of a break from typing too much is still typing, but only less.

I know, it's wack.

—Kaio