Chapter 26: Winter Renewal

1876 words, 9 minutes

Only a few millimetres' worth of snow fell on Thursday December 19th. It was one of those days that wasn't dry 7ºC weather.

University was still tough as usual, but most students were managing, especially the hardworking ones that stayed on top and had free time afterwards.

With this free time, Akane, Chen Guo and Tang Rou decided to eat at a nearby hot pot restaurant while chatting about regular topics.

As the other 2 women chatted, Akane thought about the impact Josaku had on her life. He was helping her grow and improve social aspects of herself. He showed her the importance of connecting with friends more often and the sweet intimacy of a partner.

Intentional or not.

She rested her cheek against her palm, smiling when she remembered their first kiss. It wasn't possible for them to hang out everyday, but they made sure to hug whenever they could and kiss in private.

"Say, Akane, are you excited for the Spring Festival next year?" asked Chen Guo, digging into her steaming hot pot.

"Don't forget about New Years," added Tang Rou.

Of course they'd drag her into conversation when she didn't want. "Hm? Oh, yeah!"

The Spring Festival consisted of a host of lanterns used to illuminate the streets, preventing the night sky from swallowing them whole. Akane hadn't gotten to properly celebrate holidays like Chinese New Year and such, but online photos implanted the sheer, swell idea of being surrounded by lots of people, tasting more Chinese cuisine, doing fun activities and wearing traditional Chinese clothing in her head.

"That sounds like fun," she added. "I'd love to actually go this time!"

"You're gonna have lots of fun," promised Chen Guo, clapping her hands together. "There will be gifts wrapped in red, time to hang red decorations and handmade lanterns, fireworks..." The brunette sighed dreamily.

They spent the rest of their time chatting about the Spring Festival and New Years.

By the time she finished her hot pot and cucumber juice (a drink Chen Guo and Tang Rou weren't fond of), Akane daintily wiped her mouth with a napkin and stood up, grabbing enough money from her pocket to pay for her own food and leaving it on the table. "Thank you for the food," she said kindly. "I have places to be now."

"Akane, I said I'd pay for everything," reminded Tang Rou.

"But that doesn't mean you have to pay every time. I don't wanna feel bad." Akane was well-acquainted with Tang Rou's wealth, but like a good friend, she didn't want to repeatedly take advantage of that.

Tang Rou shot a glance at Chen Guo. There were always those disputes among friends regarding who was gonna pay, so they decided to not disagree. Tang Rou smiled and graciously accepted the money. "OK then, I'll pay this in your place. Have fun with your chŏng'ér."