Chapter 25: Chongqing's True Temperature

2189 words, 10 minutes

Another day back at Chongqing University, and Akane was in a good mood. Life was fantastic. She made more time to keep in touch with her friends—including Josaku—after-hours, and completing her homework didn't feel so terrible.

It was Tuesday November 19th. The time was currently 7:48PM, so Akane wasn't in a rush to get to her Chinese Literature class.

On her way further down the hallway, she moved closer to the wall since there were a decent number of students lounging around.

However, the moment she made a turn to check out the construction and engineering departments, she bumped into someone and dropped her textbooks. "Ow, sorry—"

A glance at the person made her freeze. It was Josaku.

Oh, speaking of propinquity.

He smirked a smirk that was honestly too attractive for this hour and bent down with her to help pick up her books. "Oh hey, darling. What are the chances I run into you today?"

Akane paused when she retrieved her International Trade textbook because of that question. She looked at him instead of the textbook in his hand and smiled back, lowering her eyelids.

"I dunno... you tell me."

She stood up first and watched him follow suite while handing her textbook. Akane took it while he spoke. "You trying to be smart?"

Akane pretended to be perplexed. "I am smart, what are you talking about?"

He snickered quietly and mumbled a quiet "Can't argue with that" before rubbing his nose once and stuffing his hand in his pocket. "Well, since you're here, I was wondering if you wanted to go for a ride after school. Just you and me."

Akane remembered that time he took her for a ride close to the Yangtze River and how she got to hold his waist then. All thoughts about school left her head when she thought about doing that again. "I'd love that," she beamed.

She had much more freedom as an adult anyway, so this was the perfect opportunity for her to spend more time being social and less time trapped at home with material to study.

"Alright, cool. Meet you at the front," he said before walking past her.

Akane turned around. "Just text me!" she called out.

"OK!"

~

Akane sat in class impatiently, grueling Tang Rou about Josaku while they were practicing with their instruments. The poor woman mumbled agreements about how exciting that sounded and even took her phone out in secret at one point to text Chen Guo about it.

When it was finally 4PM and the bells outside rang to signal the end of the day, Akane opened her DM with Josaku and texted him first this time. "Where are you?"