Chapter 31: Persistence Strikes

1181 words, 6 minutes

The following week on Sunday April 12th, Akane headed out for a walk to clear her head after the numbness subsided a little.

Having the reassurance that her friends and boyfriend cared about her powered her body and got her back on track. She currently had about 13 missed assignments from 2 of her programs, and only 3 of that amount were completed. The only program she was doing decently in was Music Performance because all her heartache gushed onto the piano via her shaky fingertips, staining its keys irregularly.

Life left a blemish on her at the most unexpected time, but she could feel herself marching forward with friends by her side. The Sun's UV rays harmlessly pierced through her skin, leaving vitamin D in its wake as well as an overall calm, balmy sensation.

Akane's mother had been like the Sun; hotheaded when angered, and soothing when a bad mood didn't taint her aura.

She shielded her gaze as she looked up at the bright ball of fire, her smile just as dazzling.

~

Along a more quieter street, Akane felt more at peace while registering the occasional cars and motorcyclists ride by. Sundays were typically tranquil, so every now and then she would encounter a person or 2 on her stroll.

When she looked across the street, though, she was extremely surprised to see Josaku. In the searing 20°C heat, he wore a tight red T-shirt, dark green cargo pants and dark brown boots that were laced up.

She hadn't texted him asking to meet up, so she wondered what he was doing outside on a scorching Sunday with his hands stuffed in his pockets.

As he passed an alleyway between 2 buildings, though, Akane's eyes narrowed in fear when she saw a girl with long black hair pop out, exchange a few words with him and forcefully drag him in by the arm.

Why did that girl look so familiar?

Akane looked around for the crosswalk and jaywalked when she saw no incoming vehicles, having no time to waste. What was that all about? Her heart started racing as she jogged towards the alleyway, stopping in front of it.

What she saw ripped her heart into shreds, drizzled gasoline over them, dumped the lacerated chunks into the trash and set the whole thing ablaze.

The girl was Ting Ting.

And she was giving Josaku a fantastic kiss.

Talk about accidentally caught cheating.

"What the hell do you think you're DOING?!"

~

The alleyway extended for approximately 10 metres towards a dead end. Ting Ting had somehow pulled him in about halfway. The brick walls were lined with metal pipes and cracks that formed decades after the buildings were erected.

It hosted an overall gloomy, secretive ambiance that Akane normally wouldn't want to find herself a part of. And yet her cursed curiosity got the best of her.