Chapter 39: Soulful Practice

655 words, 3 minutes

Akane, Chen Guo and Tang Rou all greeted, rejoiced and hugged when the blue-haired woman finally arrived at Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport.

They wasted no time driving her to the venue they rented, located in a room at the Hyatt Regency Chongqing Hotel. It was a 20-minute drive from Yubei District to Jiangbei District, and Akane spent most of the ride staring out the window, Tang Rou not having that luxury as the driver and Chen Guo poking fun at Akane for daydreaming.

When they arrived at the hotel, Akane was awestruck. It was strategically located next to the Paradise Walk, a popular shopping mall. Many decent dining choices were available as well as a bar street for late night activities.

The day before her flight, Chen Guo reminded Akane to wear something presentable. Preferably the "fanciest dress you own", as she put it.

The fanciest dress she owned was a dark blue gown that elegantly fell down to her ankles so that the short black heels with an ankle strap would show. The silky skirt of the dress was shaped like Sleeping Beauty's; not puffy like Cinderella's. The form-fitting bodice's material was laced and dotted with a few white beads. Thick laced straps hugged her shoulders, exposing her lean arms and collarbone.

She'd only worn it once at a friend's wedding in Nagoya.

Regardless, her friends approved.

The venue itself consisted of what she could best describe as a living room with sliding doors revealing a single bedroom. Quite spacious but not large enough to fit 100 people in it. Probably 15 at best.

All the walls were beige. The curtains? Beige. The furniture? Beige or brown.

The living room had 2 luxurious beige sofas giving their backs to a large glass wall that oversaw many skyscrapers. It was a breathtaking view. In front of the sofas was a dining table with 4 chairs, and next to it was another table with 2 chairs.

The bedroom on the other hand consisted of a bed with white sheets. In front of it was a wooden table supporting a large TV and behind that was another large glass wall showcasing the cityscape. There were 3 chairs inside, as well as a love chair.

Akane was very baffled when Chen Guo slapped on a menacing "RESERVED" sign on the sliding door and moved the chairs inside to the living room with Tang Rou's help, leaving only the bed.

Akane assured Chen Guo and Tang Rou that she made time to practice the songs she was going to play, and they both seemed really eager for some reason.

While Chen Guo made a phone call to her parents in the bedroom and Tang Rou talked to the hotel staff over the phone regarding the food, Akane attempted to sooth the hectic, hasty atmosphere with a song.

She remembered the picture of her mother playing with her when she was 5 years old. Akane played for her sake, her fingers carefully moving across the keys. She envisioned her childish self sitting on her mother's lap and watching her fingers gracefully dance across the piano, the keys her many partners.

Stopping, Akane pulled out the note her mother wrote to her from her jean pocket. She gave it a quick read before delicately positioning it against the top of the piano, viewing it like a sheet of music, the words serving as the notes.

Her playing became much more emotional, and her friends sensed it.

~

Thursday April 30th was the birthday of the friend. Chen Guo and Tang Rou promised they'll do her hair half an hour before the guests would arrive.

"You're gonna look stunning," claimed Chen Guo as she walked all around Akane, inspecting every strand of hair while mildly adjusting her dress for her.

Akane wasn't sure why she needed to look stunning if only friends and family were invited.

Knocking was heard at 6:23PM.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

Almost done, I swear... I've dragged this on long enough.

I honestly take pride in almost every chapter I write, tho, especially this one for some reason.

—Kaio