Chapter 20: Remarks

727 words, 4 minutes

While one person seemed to be having doubts, the other person was thinking about them.

Josaku was lying down on his bed when he finally got home, spinning his keys around his index finger while resting his head against his other hand. He didn't change out of his outfit yet.

True to the first sentence, he was thinking about Akane and all the interactions they've had so far. She really was an interesting girl, and she made him feel special whenever they talked.

He got the typical butterflies in his stomach and an increased heart rate, but what wasn't typical was the very girl that made his body react this way.

Josaku remembered the time she wore shorts while riding her motorcycle and chuckled amusingly. That in itself was entertaining to see, and he hadn't expected it.

It also led to him thinking about what would've happened if he hadn't initially given her a sports bike wave. She wouldn't even be in his life, and now he couldn't imagine what life would be like without Akane in it.

How that progressed so quickly, he had no idea. But why should he question it when he was in for the long ride?

~

Chen Guo had her chemistry textbook and notebook open when Akane walked into the library. This time, they had texted each other in their group chat asking to meet early in the morning to study. A sly smile adorned her youthful face. "It seems like you're spending more time with this Josaku guy rather than us," she stated, mainly to poke fun.

It worked, and seeing Akane's flustered expression proved Chen Guo's point. Tang Rou smiled at them both. "Yeah, I noticed that, too, Guo Guo," she chimed in, watching Akane take a seat. "And it looks like Akane is wearing a pretty dress. Compare that to our bland blouses and dress pants."

Akane raised an eyebrow at them. "I just picked this dress out because I haven't worn it for a while," she explained, taking out her International Trade textbook and opening it. "Not because of whatever you guys may be thinking."

"If that's the case, then answer us this..." started Chen Guo, leaning across the table and cupping her hand over her mouth to whisper. "...did you 2 go on a date yet?"

Shoot. The thought hadn't even crossed Akane's mind. "No... do we have to?"

Chen Guo backed off and stared at Tang Rou in astonished disbelief before facing Akane again. "Of course! If you want to be with him so badly, you should get to know him in a setting that isn't university."

Akane supposed Chen Guo was right, and a date probably wasn't a bad idea. It's just that she never thought about it because of university and the fact that simply talking to Josaku made her content.

In order to keep talking to him, Akane needed to see him again.

~

When Akane got home, she did her usual routine; study, eat, exercise, play piano and wash away the day's grime and weariness in the shower. After getting out and drying her face with a towel, Akane remembered something Chen Guo had told her in the morning.

Something about not spending that much time with them.

She was sure they understood, and Akane wouldn't trade the world for her friends. They've been there for her since day 1, during exam season, personal struggles and online when they couldn't physically be with one another.

Akane laughed softly when she remembered Chen Guo's tone at the time. It was light and teasing, but perhaps also a gentle reminder that she shouldn't forget about them.

Speaking of forgetting, Akane thought about trying to call her parents again. Maybe this reminder extended to her only family members since she allowed herself to interpret it as such.

Clutching her bathrobe tighter to get warm, Akane headed to her room and picked up her phone to try calling her dad first.

It went to voicemail.

She tried again. Voicemail.

Akane tapped on her mom's phone number and waited. Voicemail.

She tried again. Voicemail.

Wow,  she thought. They must be really busy.

Since it was 11:09PM, Akane decided to head to bed before she got any bright ideas that involved staying up until 1AM rehearsing her solo and doing extra review. She was tired, anyway.

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

I'll take this as a chance to ask you guys once again to please vote and comment! It would mean the world to me!

Also, yay, we finally get to see things from Josaku's perspective for once. I hope this relationship so far is portrayed as "healthy". I personally don't see anything wrong with it but that's only because I see it from my perspective.

—Kaio