Chapter 37: Pending Future

512 words, 2 minutes

Before the phone call that saved their relationship ended, Akane and Josaku conversed about their futures; Josaku said he was going to be busy finishing up his last year at Chongqing University, and Akane needed to focus on her mental health.

They then ended the call with sweet words and promises to see each other again.

Akane sat alone in her room and stared at the wall in front of her, wondering what she was going to do in the future.

She supposed it would be pointless to not finish university.

She recalled a brochure in Chongqing University's library outlining the process of transferring credits locally, nationally and internationally.

Pulling up her phone again, Akane Googled "university credit transfer" and browsed, nodding slowly at what she read. She could find a university in her home city and go through the credit transfer process there.

What programs did she choose again? Ah, International Trade and Music Performance... and she was sure she could find a use for her Chinese Literature program.

After a few minutes of searching, she came across Nagoya University.

Just like Chongqing University, Nagoya University had many different departments. One of the big ones was the economic department.

It didn't sound like there would be much of a problem for her to apply there.

The only thing standing in the way was her mindset.

~

"Oto-san," she called, walking to the living room to see her father chilling on the couch with a book. She chuckled quietly to herself, for he usually preferred to sit at the dining table because he was closer to the kitchen, and that meant he could easily get up to grab a snack.

"Yes, Akane?"

She sat down next to him before speaking again. "Do you think I should resume university once I feel ready?"

He pulled down his glasses and eyed her. "You want to continue university?"

"Yeah," she said. She wanted a well-paying job, and she's already gained so much experience. To throw it all away would be a waste.

Her father shifted in his seat, slowly closing the book he was reading. "That's up to you," he answered. "If you feel like you're up for it, then let me know and I'll help pay your tuition."

"Do you think I can do it?"

He smiled, wrinkles forming at the edges of his mouth. "That's not up to me to decide." He reached for her hand and took it in his. "That's up to you."

A moment of silence made way for his words to sink in her mind.

"I don't want the cause of your unhappiness to be stress again, but I trust your judgement. Your mother agreed that you can do anything you set your mind to."

Akane stared at the floor, still holding her father's hand. She inherited a bit of her mother's tenacity, and that ultimately led to her facing her father with twinkling determination.

"I'll do it."

"You're sure?"

"More than anything."

Her father admired her spirit. Traces of her mother were evident. "When do you apply?"

____________________________________________________________

A/N:

Short little sweet chapter with more father-and-daughter moments. <3

—Kaio