Chapter 16: 1AM Rehearsal

1710 words, 8 minutes

Wednesday October 23rd, 6:45AM.

Appeasing flute music sounded from Akane's phone sitting on the nightstand.

After snoozing it once, she relaxed on her bed for an additional 5 minutes before it rang again. This time, Akane groggily turned off the damn alarm and tried to sit up. She stood up and adjusted her silky white pajamas before setting her bed.

Once that was taken care of, Akane made her way to the bathroom by the lobby door, rubbing her tired eyes on the way there. She undressed and hopped in the shower to use the various natural skincare products her mother generously recommended her. Cleanser, toner, serum, moisturizer... all infused with natural ingredients like green tea, citrus, rosewater and argan oil. Some of her personal favorites.

There was nothing like a shower to make her feel fresh and ready for the day, and blow-drying her hair was one of the best feelings in the world. Akane messed around with the hairdryer and directed it to her face, opening and closing her mouth and feeling the hot air force it to open comically. A playful chuckle escaped her lips as she brushed her long blue hair.

Akane didn't feel like styling it today, so she brushed her teeth, slipped on her fluffy white bathrobe and went to make herself breakfast.  She wanted to have youtiao, but her mother warned her about eating fried food. Her expression turned sour when she remembered that since she loved youtiao, but being healthy required effort. Instead, Akane ordinarily prepared oatmeal with berries and drank soy milk on the side.

The moisture had been absorbed by her skin, so Akane put her dishes in the sink and headed to her room to pick out her outfit. This was tough sometimes because there were so many amazing, stylish possibilities. Akane scrunched her forehead as her eyes scanned her closet, feeling anxious about being late if she didn't hurry up.

Her hand shifted the closet door a little as she continued scanning. A lot of her outfits were blue, and she owned many pairs of ankle boots. With that, she settled on a royal blue T-shirt, black skinny jeans and a pair of black ankle boots.

However, because she was nearing the end of October, Akane grabbed a beige trench coat for the 13°C weather her phone's forecast showed.

After fastening the belt and buttoning up, Akane grabbed her backpack and checked to see that she had all her notebooks and textbooks. Satisfied, she grabbed her phone from the nightstand and checked the time. It was 7:31AM.

Not bad,  she thought, shoving it in her backpack. I still have time.

She grabbed her ankle boots, slung her bag over her shoulder and walked across the room. But wait! She was forgetting something!

Akane hurriedly turned around and ran in socks to her room. Couldn't forget her motorcycle helmet.

Once she got that, she was finally ready to leave and ride.

~

Her eyes mainly fell on the road rather than the Jialing River due to her riding buddy providing her a companionable silence.