Chapter 32: Final Words

1043 words, 5 minutes

When Akane completed those 3 assignments, her average went from 68% to 70%.

That small progress no longer mattered to her anymore as she painfully quit her internship, relinquished her work permit and paid off the rest of her tuition for the year with the money her father had sent her a week before this ill-fated spring semester started.

She wasn't going to go through with finishing it.

Akane was incredibly grateful that her father was understanding, and though she didn't tell him her reason for dropping out was because the love of her life cheated on her, she had another valid excuse; she never quite got over her mother's sudden death.

Weeks of trying to push it to the back of her mind resurfaced in the form of tears when she was in her apartment and packing up.

She didn't have that much stuff in her apartment, but it would take a while for potential buyers to purchase them, so she read of a community partnership between a company called Johnson Controls Inc. and the Fuling Children's Welfare Centre.

The article read that they would be donating furniture, toys and snacks, so Akane called them, asking if they were willing to accept her furniture donation.

They were delighted.

She gave them what would now be her former address and they arrived with a pickup truck to take all her furniture. They asked if she wanted to give up the piano as well and Akane allowed them, saying she had one waiting for her in Nagoya. 

All Akane would be taking were her clothes, phone, notebooks and family pictures.

She visited a money agency to convert all her money from Chinese renminbi to Japanese yen and transfer it to her father. It would take a few days to send it, and he promised to let her know if the Bank of Nagoya received it.

Before she was ready to embrace her life in Nagoya again, she had to say goodbye to Tang Rou and Chen Guo.

They were tearful when she broke the news about Josaku, as well as extremely sorry for her. Yet Akane didn't process the uncertain expressions on their faces when she told them what she saw, but she reasoned it was best to forget about it.

She had already gotten ready to move abroad, so there was nothing the older women could do to stop her. At least they still had her number, so they each promised to keep in touch with her every now and then before embracing in one last group hug and wishing her a safe trip.

Akane was going to miss them terribly.

So much for having them watch her graduate.

~

Akane passed time in the train ride to Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport in Yubei District by staring out the window and taking in the modern scenery of Chongqing, realizing that this was the last time she was going to see it in person.