Chapter 5: This Rider

1085 words, 5 minutes

It was now Monday September 22nd, and Akane wasn't a big fan of Mondays.

She just studied her butt off during whatever free time she had after school and her internship. It was almost as if she couldn't catch a break.

She took a deep breath to centre herself.

Calm down, Akane, you knew you were going to have to study hard here. Why else did  Oka-san and  Oto-san prepare you for this...

Her thoughts trailed off as she blinked twice and looked around her room. It wasn't too special. It just had a black nightstand with a lamp, her bed, a window covered by blue curtains, a closet with her clothes, a desk for her to study on and a bamboo shelf by the window that was stocked with photos of her and her family.

Akane took a glance at them from her bed, absently touching the ends of her hair. "I miss you, Oka-san..." she muttered quietly to herself as she stared at one particular photo where she and her mother were playing the piano together. She was probably around 5 in that picture.

She never got to see her father that often because he worked the demanding job of a mechanic, aiding in manufacturing and fine-tuning cars. But she still loved him dearly.

The photos made her sigh as she got out of bed. She would just have to make them and herself proud.

~

Freshened up and ready to go, Akane ran down the stairs of her apartment and rushed to her motorcycle, mounting it quickly after tying her hair into a loose bun and putting on her helmet.

In a matter of moments, she was on the road and driving away from the Hualong Bridge Residential District, glancing every now and then at the beautiful Jialing River, seeing the Sun reflect off of its clarity and serenity. She sighed through her helmet. If only university were that peaceful.

A few minutes went by, and she heard another motorcycle entering the big road through a smaller one. A quick glance at her rearview mirror gave her that confirmation.

This rider seemed to have a motorcycle that was faster than hers, though, because they easily caught up with her. Staring ahead to make sure there were no cars to worry about, Akane turned her head in their direction slightly and widened her eyes.

They were wearing a brown leather jacket with a white T-shirt underneath, dark jeans and combat boots. A sleek black helmet covered their entire face.

They had the physique of a man.

Akane was surprised. She knew there were motorcycle riders in Chongqing, but she's never thought she would actually see one on her way to school. It felt kind of cool, actually.

She was even more surprised when he lowered his left hand since it was in her view, made a "peace" sign with his fingers and gave a quick flip.