7

Reader's POV

"Post is here!" Cheered one of the first years as owls flew into the great hall, flying over the students eating breakfast. Two owls flew in, carrying big boxes at their sharp talons.

One owl dropped a box in front of y/n and the other box was dropped in front of Ron, who both looked at each other, confusion on their faces.

"Go on then." Ron whispered to y/n, wanting her to open the box first, just in case it was a prank box or something of that nature.

Y/n stared at Ron, slowly ripping off the paper from the box. Her brows furrowed as she lifted up the lid of the box. Hermione, who was sitting next to y/n, let out a gasp. Inside the box was a beautiful black dress with a beaded bodice and black tulle skirt.

"No way!" Hermione spoke, shocked at the beauty of the dress. "You'll be best dressed at the Yule ball for sure wearing that!" Hermione squealed excitedly, jumping up and down in her seat. Y/n was stunned and still had her jaw dropped.

"Well go on then, open yours" Harry nudged Ron's shoulder as y/n put the lid back on the box, not wanting anyone to see the dress. Ron opened his box and frowned, pulling out the piece of fabric.

"Mum's sent me a dress." Ron whined and stood up, holding up the lace trimmed coat.

"Well it does match your eyes." Harry chuckled. "Is there a bonnet?" Harry continued, looking in the box and pulling out a black and white piece of clothing, laughing.

"Looks like you have competition, y/n." Hermione giggled, earning a chuckle from y/n.

"Ginny, these must be for you." Ron shrugged, walking over to his sister, whose milk tipped out of her spoon in shock.

"I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly." Ginny frowned at Ron, dipping her spoon back into her cereal. Hermione picked up a card that was in the box and burst out in laughter, covering her face with her hands.

"What are you on about?" Ron asked Hermione, confused at the sudden outburst of laughter.

"They're not for Ginny, they're for you!" She exclaimed and everyone sitting at the Gryffindor table started laughing. "They are dress robes!"

"Dress robes?" Ron exclaimed, eyes widening. "For what?"

Y/n face palmed and the laughter at the table continued.

-------

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition at Hogwarts since its inception." Professor McGonagall spoke as filch played around with a record player that was on a table at the back of the room. All students going to the ball were sitting down, girls on one side and boys on the other.

"On Christmas eve night, we and our guests will gather in the great hall." McGonagall explained as y/n felt herself drift into her owns thoughts. She looked around the room and saw everyone she knew, well, except for the boy with white hair. Y/n wondered whether or not he was coming to the ball. Pansy was here, so she's going. But with who? Why should she care if Draco did attend the ball?

Y/n's thoughts were interrupted by Hermione shaking her shoulder.

"Come on, y/n, it's time to practice the dance. Cedric's waiting for you." Hermione whispered, pointing to the front of the classroom, where Cedric was standing, staring at y/n and smiling. Y/n smiled back and stood up as Hermione walked off to find her own partner, Y/n hastily walking towards Cedric.

"May I have this dance?" Cedric fake bowed holding out his hand, pulling an awful posh accent, causing y/n to laugh.

"You may." Y/n giggled, grabbing Cedric's hand. He pulled her close and rested his hand on y/n's waist, one hand still holding y/n's hand, and one of her hands on his shoulder. "If I'm being honest, I don't know how to do this dance." Y/n whispered and Cedric smiled.

"I'll teach it too you, just follow my lead." Cedric replied with a wink. Y/n felt her cheeks go pink and she looked down at Cedric's feet as the music started.

"1...2...3...4" Professor McGonagall shouted, directing the students dance moves.

Suddenly, The double doors at the front of the classroom barged open, y/n spinning around in shock. Draco was stood in the doorway and he glanced over at y/n. He stared at Cedric and y/n, his eyebrows furrowing. Cedric smirked at Draco and put his arm around y/n's shoulders.

"Mr. Malfoy, you are extremely late to this class." Professor McGonagall spoke, her arms crossing over her chest. Draco averted his attention to the professor, who was extremely bitter at a student being late.

"I-" Draco began but was soon cut off.

"There will be no tardiness for this dance. Understood?" Professor McGonagall said, looking at Draco who nodded as a response. "Now, you will be partnered with Miss. Parkinson for this dance." She ordered.

Draco flared his nostrils. Of all people, he was partnered with, it was Pansy. He looked at y/n briefly before making his way to Pansy. He had told y/n he didn't want to take Pansy to the ball, and now that he was partnered with her for this dance, Pansy would be expecting Draco to take her.

"And now spin the ladies and switch partners." McGonagall instructed and y/n shut her eyes, in fear of tripping over while being spun. She felt herself being caught in a pair of strong arms. She opened her eyes and they were met with eyes as cold as ice.

"Oh, its you." She whispered, breathing a sigh of relief, almost all of her friends were on the other side of the room and she barely knew anyone in this section.

"It's me." Draco whispered back, biting his lip and still staring into her eyes. She felt her stomach flutter.

"You going with Pansy?" Y/n spoke and Draco rolled his eyes, looking away from y/n.

"Maybe, don't really have anyone else" Draco shrugged with a sigh.

"Are you serious?" Y/n raised her brows. "Every girl in this school thinks you're attractive, you're a quidditch seeker for crying out loud!"

"Oh, so you think I'm-"

"No. Don't get a big head, Draco." y/n lightly slapped his shoulder with the hand that was resting on it. "Plus, I have my eye on someone already." She smiled, looking over Draco's shoulder at Cedric.